Sway Bar Messed Up Any Ideas

nkurs365@uwsp.edu

Ok so I am an idiot.....I replaced my front diff this past weekend, and I took the sway bar down to remove the diff. Well somehow i messed up the threads on one of the bolts that hooks up to the sway bar. I tried to put the nut back on but no dice it just hits a point and stops any ideas on what to do about this?

Are you talking about the end link or the actual bracket for the sway bar?

Not the end links no......There are 2 threaded rods where that come down and the sway bar bolts up to it......the one on the driver side i messed up or it was not quite sure how or what happened but i cant get a nut threaded on it past the point of the messed up threads.

Look inside the nut... sometimes the nuts gets f'ed up too... If you cross-thread they may both have gone bad. 1 missing thread shouldn't be something that stops the nut unless it makes the nut angle to one side...

... but yeah, I agree with the other guys, buy a die for that stud size. If you can't find the size and thread count, buy a thread gauge ( or take the nut to a machine shop or auto parts store). I think anyone that is a do it yourselfer should have a thread gauge though.

Keep us posted on the reason when you find it...

sorry to double post, but is the bad part of the stud close to what you're fastening to? Meaning will the missing thread hinder the nuts grip? or do you just have to get the nut past it and then it's no big deal?

Just something to think about; if it's close to the point of tightening it'll strip more easily and make not grip well.