What Should I Do?

Fireman31

What should I do?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Pick up a daily driver or keep modding the SS?

• Mild street cam so that the SS can still be a decent daily driver
    • Pull the trigger on an L92 setup
    • Pick up a reliable daily driver so I can build my motor up over time the right way
    • Leave the SS alone for the time being

I have a bit of a mental dilemma that I have been thinking about for a couple of weeks now. At first, I really wanted to throw a mild cam in the SS so that it could still be used as a daily driver. Recently I have been bitten by the L92 bug and the desire to break into the 12's NA. Reliability, cost, mileage, etc. are a big factor here. By going all out and upgrading the entire upper half of my motor, I don't see my truck as beeing too good of a daily driver anymore. I would rather take the money that I was planning on throwing into my motor, and put it towards a good daily driver. This way when I am able, I can take my time doing the motor upgrades the right way. Besides, I will have to get a daily driver sooner or later anyway since I am already putting too many miles on the SSS, 18k in the past year. This way, I can have my fun with her on the weekends, and beat around in something else during the week.

I have already started looking around for a daily driver, and I want a 4x4, and obviously a Chevy. I found a 2002 Tahoe LS, 4.8L, 4x4, with 80k on the clock, very clean, for $8900 that I plan on checking out.

I could just keep driving the SS for the time being, and leave her alone for now.....

What do you think I should do? Please be logical on your choice.........

:chevy:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me i would buy a cheap DD and build the truck the right way. i have a buddy at work that figured his car would be down for maybe a month or two tops to build his motor. good thing he bought a cheap little honda car. cause 5 months later he is still driving the honda and his camaro is not done.. he said his camaro wont be done for another 4 months. he want a 9 sec car so he has a lot to do. i have alway had a DD for this reason. when i bought the ss i planned on driving it everyday. it does not turn out that way.well with all the mods and broken down time i have only put 7k on it in 2 year didnt work out like i had planned so im glad i had my DDs.

I just saw a pair of L92 heads bare for $175 fpr the pair!!!!

wait and my track times will help you decide :devil:

how much converter do you want to run?

if it takes 5 months some parts are missing.

TJ has put 800hp thru a stock block, tuning, and meth injection.

now is a good time to build, money goes far now :)

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

you should be able to find a rust bucket beater on the island there for cheap :D . here people want 5-6k for a 10-15 year old Honda :crazy: so i picked up a 08 Chevy Aveo LT for $13k getting 38 mpg :thumbs: cheaper than driving the SS. but mod at your pace with a DD and do it right the first time..

good luck

:seeya:

Don't be too proud to buy a true beater for less than $1500. There are many GOOD cars for cheap with little miles on the clock.

Cheap beater / commuter and get that l92 assembly!

So true. I'm looking at beaters or DD's as well. I'm keeping it around $5-6k and you wouldnt believe what is out there. I understand the whole 4x4 thing in northern climates, but I also want something for when gas parices go back to $4/g in the next year or so. It will eventually happen.

I recommend staying away from the V8 4x4's, especially through GM. Go smaller, like vibe, or even another grand prix, or god forbid, a saturn vue or aura xe or something. The rationale behind this is because of ownership of the SSS. That Tahoe shares many of the same issues your SSS has been plagued with. Weak tranny, bad rear ends, troublesome transfer cases, bad stepper motors in the speedos. I personally think you would be buying another money pit and never save any mod money. GM's smaller cars typically have less issues, even though some do, like the grand prix. Hell, I even saw a cobalt ss supercharged for $10k with 70k miles on it the other day. Maybe you just want a larger vehicle though and thats understandable, but from a money saving perspective, a Tahoe is the last vehicle I would think of. However, my dad had a 99 silverado Z71 he never had any problems with up to 120k miles. Just some thoughts. Kevins idea of $1500 is spot on though as well. Even if you picked a mid 90 something grand am or whatever for $1500, if it broke, throw it away and get another one. But again, I understand the style and comfort and coolness factors as well. I struggle with it all the time myself. But whats more important, being cool or saving money? I dont know, its tough to decide for me,it really is.

Don't be too proud to buy a true beater for less than $1500. There are many GOOD cars for cheap with little miles on the clock.

Cheap beater / commuter and get that l92 assembly! :uhoh::chevy:

:withstupid: