Vibration And Rubbing?

dmf21209

alright, so I installed my belltech 2" drop spindles and rear shackles, ran straight after and got an alignment and rebalanced the wheels(some wheelweights fell off while takin the rims off :confused: ). I know it was aligned and the wheels were balanced correctly, so that's out of the equation. Kind of have two problems:

I do have a vibration at certain speeds, yes I read Mr. P's thread in here and having a hard time narrowing down which it is front or rear. I can definately feel it in the floorboards and seat, but also somewhat in the steering wheel too, but maybe it's just transferring throughout the truck. I only get the vibration on the highway (over 60mph), and when I give it a little gas at low RPM's and momentarily at WOT.

Kind of ties into my second problem, I rub a little on the front when turning left NOT RIGHT.... and only usually while backing up :wtf: . Anybody have rubbing problems at all with a 2" drop? It's on the stock 20's by the way. And why only backing up turning to the left???

So could the front end have sagged a little beforehand and is causing binding because it's a little lower than 2" from stock?

AND, it said in Mr.P's thread:

"using only rear leaf-spring shackles (without front hangers) will certainly alter pinion angle and introduce vibration that can be felt in the seat and/or floorboard, several have reported that this is corrected with installation of either a 2, 3, or 4-degree shim - the thick part of the shim is oriented to the rear of the spring;"

Just so happens I ordered shims for shits and giggles because it was "recommended" by summit yada yada. SOOO, where the fudge do they go? I'm new to suspension, most of what I know is from doin this install recently :P , it all was pretty self explanatory and the belltech instructions were helpful too!

A bit of a long troubleshooting thread, I know, but any advice is appreciated!!! thanks

Leviticus,

I have the same exact lowering system and am experiencing the same exact vibration issues. I already installed a 2 degree shim but it didn't change anything. My next step is to try a 4 degree shim and if that doesn't work probably shim the transmission mount up 1/2 inch and see what that does. I'm about discusted at this point with it.

Leviticus,

I have the same exact lowering system and am experiencing the same exact vibration issues. I already installed a 2 degree shim but it didn't change anything. My next step is to try a 4 degree shim and if that doesn't work probably shim the transmission mount up 1/2 inch and see what that does. I'm about discusted at this point with it.

well then maybe it's the front? are you rubbing at all?

I havent had any time to actually get down and dirty with this thing again, was gonna try the shims and if that didnt work then try the torsion bar method of fixing the problem.

Edited by DMF (see edit history)

Before you waste time, and cause yourself any more headaches, try the bracket that raises the carrier bearing. A lot of people that use this after drops have reported that it cured all symptoms of vibration. Lowered my truck last week and I got the shakes at highway speed WOT. I'm installed the carrier bearing relocator bracket this weekend, so ill report my results.

Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)

Thanks 1Bad2K: Can I just remove the bracket or do I need to replace it w/ a relocated bracket? Any info you can supply us would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

yeah, you actually have to cut a section of the old bracket out and drill out a couple holes. the new bracket bolts in with your carrier bearing on it and moves the bearing up a couple of inches. ill try to get some pics and write a how-to.

Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)

the relocator is a shitty piece of engineering. you would be better off fabbing something yourself if you have the means or know someone that can weld even half assed. I used it on my 03 and I will deffinately not use the pos relocator if i ever need to adjust the cb height again... but moving it up does work a lot of the time. On my 99 i just asked the muffler shop to section and reweld the stock bracket. raise it as much as possible and use spacers to lower it if needed. JMO

Edited by BigCountry (see edit history)

Hi guys: I was just checking out my truck and I don't even see a carrier bearing on mine. I did find a bracket welded to the cross member but no bearing or anything of that nature. I did find something interesting though. If I grab the drive shaft where it goes into the transfer case I have over 1/16 of play, more than there should be. I'm thinking that's the start to my problem. I also noticed when the previous owner lowered the truck and installed the pinion angle shims, he put the fat part of the shim to the front side of the rear end. I'm thinking these are backwards.

I'm a little concerned about not having a pinion bearing though. Any ideas?

Before you waste time, and cause yourself any more headaches, try the bracket that raises the carrier bearing. A lot of people that use this after drops have reported that it cured all symptoms of vibration. Lowered my truck last week and I got the shakes at highway speed WOT. I'm installed the carrier bearing relocator bracket this weekend, so ill report my results.

for me it'd be the same amount of headache, I already have the shims, so mightaswell try em if I got em. Once again, when I find time to do it I'll give it a shot. In my current situation I really dont have a set place to work on my truck so times of borrowing certain friends' garages/parking lots come and go :jester:

Well, I found out SS AWD's come w/ a 1 piece drive shaft so I have no carrier bearing or bracket to worry about. I did discover when I installed my 2 degree shim kit I put the fat part of the shim on the front of the rear end and not towards the rear as MR P recommends. This weekend I'm going to flip them around to see if it makes a difference.