More SS models at Chicago

99Xtreme

Well Chevy showed the next 2 SS models coming out.The Monte CarloSS and the ImpalaSS.Im suprised they didnt givem alittle more motor under their hoods other then the Supercharged 3.8.

ImpalaSS http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2003_chic...X04CH_IM002.jpg

Monte CarloSS

http://www.autoweek.com/specials/2003_chic...X04CH_MC001.jpg

The Monte looks just like every other Monte SS out there.The ImpalaSS dosent look to bad.From what I've been reading they get V8's in 06 so maybe then they'll be true to the SS badge.Thank god for the SilveradoSS. :chevy:

I suppose all those sales don't count for anything then, or that 3rd shift they had run to keep up with demands for the "sad looking" impala of today. GM hit the nail right on the head when they desesigned the Impala for the general public, the sales indicate that.

What they want to do is offer it to a wider base of the buying public right now, and with the supercharger in it for 2004 then that will reach out to the ones that want more power. The big V8 94-96 Impala SS was a great car too, no doubt with its "tire-melting power, commodius interior and high resale demand....although insurance was high for them, along with the hefty-boy dimensions and tacky interior plastics and switchgear" Motor Trend. The 94 SS in stock performance it ran a 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.4 seconds @ 91.1 mph. What would be the performance for the 2004? I'm sure it will be better than 7.1, heck Motor Trend tested a 2000 Monte Carlo back then and ran a 0-60 of 7.3 seconds and 1/4 mile 15.5 sec. @ 89.3.

So you have better gas mileage, improved technology, bullet proof series II V6 and a quicker car....hmmm...so what's the problem....is it that there is no V8's....the F-body V8 RWD is gone so let's pick on GM for improving an already high seller FWD V6. So the small niche looking for V8 RWD's will be looking at something else while GM cashes in on the W-Bodies. I knew they were not going to make much changes to either models, that was a given. It's in 2006/2007 that will get the major change, that is what I am looking forward to.

Here's some food for thought:

Ypsilanti, Mich. - General Motors announced today it will invest approximately $300 million in its Willow Run (Mich.) plant to produce a new 6-speed rear-wheel-drive automatic transmission
The transmission will be used in future GM cars and trucks beginning in 2006.

There is a reason for the 2004 Grand Prix being built here in Oshawa, along with the Impala/Monte Carlo. Could GM have some kind of long term plan for all these models? Could there be a swing back into V8 RWD? All speculation right now and fueled by rumors.

Just my 2 cents

The only thing that I honestly think Chevy could have done was differentiate them more in looks then the regular Monte SS and Impala LS with the sport package.I think there great cars,and I've driven enough GTP's and SSEI's to know the 3.8 SC is a awesome motor.I just think alittle more could have been done in the looks dept.

I agree that the cosmetics of the cars could have been changed more, but i guess if your into modifying the exterior it would give you alot more room to make your car one of a kind. As far as the engine goes, I'm a big fan of the rwd V8s and carried a strong stance against the V6s of today until i drove the Grand Prix GTP and was very amazed. That made me respect the V6s alot more but still agree that alot more could be done to a V8 with todays technology for a much cheaper price than the cost of a supercharged 3800. But then again like I said i will always argue in favor of the old rwd V8s, so that just my opinion. :thumbs:

Archived