Read The Ingredients!

Fireman31

Dan, My undergrad area of study was Food Science...that list is a bit short. :uhoh:

I always like to tell people about peanut butter allowed quality. ALL peanut butter has insect parts and rodent hairs in it, its a fact and cannot be avoided. (I know you had a PB&J yesterday for lunch :jester: ).

Per 100 grams of peanut butter, the allowed limit (AQL) of insect parts is 30 per 100 grams

Per 100 grams of peanut butter, the allowed limit (AQL) of rodent hairs is 1-2 full hairs per 100 grams.

Per 100 grams of peanut butter, the allowed limit (AQL) of insoluable organics is 25mg per 100 grams. This is mostly contamination from harvest (dirt) however rodent feces is perfectly acceptable to fall in this category.

Another one of my favorites is mushrooms:

Insects

(AOAC 967.24) Average of over 20 or more maggots of any size per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid or 15 grams of dried mushrooms

OR

Average of 5 or more maggots 2 mm or longer per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid or 15 grams of dried mushrooms

Mites

(AOAC 967.24) Average of 75 mites per 100 grams drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid or 15 grams of dried mushrooms

Decomposition

(MPM-V100) Average of more than 10% of mushrooms are decomposed

DEFECT SOURCE: Insects - preharvest insect infestation, Mites - preharvest and/or post harvest infestation, Decomposition - preharvest infection

If anyone wants some good reading material, here is the link to the US FDA list of what is acceptable levels of "defects" in the food you eat:

FDA Acceptable Defect Levels

Alot of people assume that a single bug part is unacceptable however the reality of the situation is that it is impossible to process food without these "asthetic" defects.

Enjoy your lunch Dan! :jester::lol:

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

alright, time for an intervention, Dan, we all care about you, get off the womens health website....

For the record, MSN is my home page on IE7, that was one of todays top stories according to them. :P

Dan, My undergrad area of study was Food Science...that list is a bit short. :uhoh:

I always like to tell people about peanut butter allowed quality. ALL peanut butter has insect parts and rodent hairs in it, its a fact and cannot be avoided. (I know you had a PB&J yesterday for lunch :jester: ).

Per 100 grams of peanut butter, the allowed limit (AQL) of insect parts is 30 per 100 grams

Per 100 grams of peanut butter, the allowed limit (AQL) of rodent hairs is 1-2 full hairs per 100 grams.

Per 100 grams of peanut butter, the allowed limit (AQL) of insoluable organics is 25mg per 100 grams. This is mostly contamination from harvest (dirt) however rodent feces is perfectly acceptable to fall in this category.

Another one of my favorites is mushrooms:

Insects

(AOAC 967.24) Average of over 20 or more maggots of any size per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid or 15 grams of dried mushrooms

OR

Average of 5 or more maggots 2 mm or longer per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid or 15 grams of dried mushrooms

Mites

(AOAC 967.24) Average of 75 mites per 100 grams drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid or 15 grams of dried mushrooms

Decomposition

(MPM-V100) Average of more than 10% of mushrooms are decomposed

DEFECT SOURCE: Insects - preharvest insect infestation, Mites - preharvest and/or post harvest infestation, Decomposition - preharvest infection

If anyone wants some good reading material, here is the link to the US FDA list of what is acceptable levels of "defects" in the food you eat:

FDA Acceptable Defect Levels

Alot of people assume that a single bug part is unacceptable however the reality of the situation is that it is impossible to process food without these "asthetic" defects.

Enjoy your lunch Dan! :jester::lol:

Adderall.gifinoutpuke.gif

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)