4/6 Drop W/torsion Bars

badz24s

Long time lurker here. I've got a 2WD 07 Classic Crew Cab that came with VHO rims & torsion bar front suspension. I'm going to lower it with McGaughy's parts. I've already got the keys & shackles installed & the rear blocks removed. I'm going to install spindles & a flip kit/c-notch pretty soon. I'm wanting to know if anyone on here has successfully lowered a torsion bar suspension 4/6 & not had a crappy ride quality. I put smaller tires(275/45/20) on so I won't have any rubbing issues.

Honestly, the truck rides like crap right now. I hate to drive it. I hit a bump & it's like dribbling a basketball. I cut the jouncers up front so that only one nub sticks out from the cup & it sits on the lower control arm at ride height. I also cut the rear bump stops, I think I cut 2 nubs off of them.

Any tips or hints? Are pinion shims going to be needed? Will I have any alignment problems? Will the driveshaft need to be shortened?

Pics of any SS or VHO's with a 4/6 would be much appreciated.

For the rear you will need a carrier bearing relocating bracket, and the front a DJM tie rod flip kit to eliminate bumpsteer. Looks like you have the rest covered. Im also going to be doing a 4/6 drop in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Long time lurker here. I've got a 2WD 07 Classic Crew Cab that came with VHO rims & torsion bar front suspension. I'm going to lower it with McGaughy's parts. I've already got the keys & shackles installed & the rear blocks removed. I'm going to install spindles & a flip kit/c-notch pretty soon. I'm wanting to know if anyone on here has successfully lowered a torsion bar suspension 4/6 & not had a crappy ride quality. I put smaller tires(275/45/20) on so I won't have any rubbing issues.

Honestly, the truck rides like crap right now. I hate to drive it. I hit a bump & it's like dribbling a basketball. I cut the jouncers up front so that only one nub sticks out from the cup & it sits on the lower control arm at ride height. I also cut the rear bump stops, I think I cut 2 nubs off of them.

Any tips or hints? Are pinion shims going to be needed? Will I have any alignment problems? Will the driveshaft need to be shortened?

Pics of any SS or VHO's with a 4/6 would be much appreciated.

I am not sure what you mean by successfully lowered without a crappy ride. I have done 2 of them(torsion equipped) and they ride decent but not stock at all. My truck rides better at a 6/8 drop than it did at a 2/4 with Belltech leafs out back. Many of the non torsion equipped 4/6 drops Ive done ride about the same as these.

As far as tips and hints........the 14 bolt rear hits the bed crossmember before anything else bottoms out in the back. Neither of the 2 trucks had to have pinion shims but my little brother's at a 4/6 vibrates a little at full throttle(driveshaft?) Alignment is a problem for me at my drop as it will not fully align but my brother's 4/6 aligned just fine. The driveshaft wasnt shortened on either of the 2 trucks.

On to the pics.........

Here's my little bro's 06 Vortec Max

3" DJM control arms and drop keys up front with a flip kit in the back

vmaxon22s-1.jpg

mex2008028-1.jpg

mex2008101.jpg

Wearing his winter wheels

Myv-maxandbrosSS.jpg

Mine has 2" belltech spindles, 3" DJM arms and keys up front and a DJM flip kit with shackles out back.

These are all early last year with my cell phone. I need to get new pics with the BSER rollpan.

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

SS2.jpg