Warranty Woes

SuperDave

OK , it's been a while since I've posted about my SS. I took it in for some warranty work, because my 7/70 extended warranty expires soon and had a small list of to do items.

Intermediate steering shaft is still rattling (third time in the shop for this one), glass fell off of passenger side mirror, and light lens on the bottom falls out and slaps around the mirror and door.

Paint on dash, steering wheel, radio presets and HVAC vents is chipping off. Mirrors won't hold memory when changing between keys #1 and #2.

Small items, but I wanted them fixed before I lose my warranty.

While it's in the shop the service manager calls me and asks how long I've noticed the growling in the front differential. Slow turns to the right thing that's been going on around these trucks since they first came out. (mine's AWD)

They've had my truck in the Dealership since last Friday morning. They call today to say all the claims have been disallowed by the Pinnacle (warranty company) people, except for the front differential.

Problem is they want to put a used front diff in my truck. My SS is still brand new looking, and only has 25,000 actual one owner miles on it!

Not a damn thing has been done to it and now they tell me that they're not paying for 99% of it... needless to say I'm pissed. Have any of you had the same luck with extended warranties? What rights do I have, and what can I expect of this whole deal?

My wife was on the phone most of the day dealing with this for me, and I don't want to get taken advantage of here. I paid 2000.00 at the time of purchase of my SS for the warranty, and need some help getting things fixed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

So I guess I'm not the only one that has had this problem. I bought a extended warranty for my truck because I knew the front diff was going to have to be worked on. So I waited 30 days before making a claim. They also wanted to put a used diff in mine to. If they can't find a diff for it then they might do something different because GM doesn't make these anymore. So probably what they will do is find a used diff for whatever cost and that will be it. Plus do you have a deductible? I did, it was 100.00. I know right now you could probably bite nails into I did! What I did was take what they were willing to pay and paid the difference for a Jaspers frontend 3yr/100,00 mile warranty. I knew that if I had the used one installed I was going to be back in the same old spot again. You could try telling them go ahead and send the diff to your shop or where ever you going to install it and check that diff out before you install it. Take the drain plug out check for metal or metal chunks not a good sign and check for movement on the driver side shaft. See if it moves around or up and down. If it does then REFUSE it. Tell them your not putting that crap in your truck. If they give you any static then find you a lawyer. There fine print probably read something like (replace like new) not (replace with new). You have to watch these warranty companies with there fine writing they will try and screw you to no end. I bet your policy that you were suppose to read before signing was the size of the STIMULUS PLAN BOOK nobody has time to read all of that. LOL Don't know whatelse to tell ya. Just give them hell and don't settle for a piece of crap diff. Check it out first before agreeing to it and let them know you will be checking it out before it's installed. Hope this helps ya. Chris

most extended warranties are a joke. I'd read over the details and see what it says. maybe you can fight it. most will deny just to see if you will push the matter. push as much as possible and have the dealership put in writting your problems and note the milage and date so in case you win your appeal. good luck

Actually ... I paid about $1000.00 less for a GM Major Guard warranty, then for a Zurich - 3rd party warranty. I also got 5/50 extra for only $2090.00.

I would read your warranty paperwork and then call the insurance company and complain. Always remember to ask for a Supervisor, and bitch your way to the top.

Best of Luck ...

I don't know what plan you got, but not to many warranties are going to cover dashboards, radios,etc. As for the rest of it, are they putting in a used or rebuilt? Is there something wrong with the case itself? Are they planning on just getting you a used case and stuffing it with new parts? This would be my guess.

I just had mine done 2 months ago. It was all covered under my Ford extended warranty(bought truck from Ford dealer). I had a pinion bearing go bad and caused some wear on the gears. Also had a trans pump leak. It was over 4K all together. It cost me $100+the cost of the plan(I think 2K). So it worked out in the long run.

I only buy used cars with extended warranties. I won't buy new anymore. You look at a 1 year old used car and the value is $10K less. You can buy an extended warranty to get you to 100K miles for $2k.

I doubt "Paint on dash, steering wheel, radio presets and HVAC vents is chipping off" is covered by any warranty. It's normal wear-n-tear(sp?). The mirror items and the rest should be covered under warranty. I'd go over the paper work and see what it says. Even if it says bumper-to-bumper warranty everything isn't covered. For example my buddy has an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty and when the seal on the sun roof when bad, he had to pay for the repair. I guess they try to put stuff like that under normal wear-n-tear. Any way my point still is this: EXTENDED WARRANTIES ARE A JOKE!! Stay away from them unless you're going to get once from GM. 3rd party warranties suck!! Hope you get things worked out. Sometime if you bitch and complain enough they will fix it. Try that. Constantly complain to the warranty people and hope for the best. Legal action is a waste unless you can get your Lawyer fees covered

I don't know what plan you got, but not to many warranties are going to cover dashboards, radios,etc.

GM major guard covered my factory radio, no questions asked. One of the knobs had the paint peel off and they installed a new one.

I've never had to use my extended on the SS and it expires in a couple of months, but I've had really good luck with the extended (can't remember the company) on the wife's 01 Impala. We've had nearly $3500 in repairs on it and have only paid about $200 in deductibles.

That is what I tell EVERYBODY. :rolleyes: GM's GMPP Major Guard warranty costs a little bit more, but it covers almost everything. The GM plan extends your roadside assistance, includes towing, & car rental if your vehicle repairs require the truck to "spend the night at the dealership so to speak". The GM plan excludes regular maintence items such as brake pads, tires, battery, spark plug wires, all filters, etc. It also excludes the glass, wind noise, trim, and water leaks. So your peeling dash & radio knobs wouldn't have been coverd anyways with the GMPP plan, but the other concerns would have been- AND NO USED PARTS EITHER!!! :nono: The GM plan is transferrable and/or the remaining prorated balance can be "cashed in" if it is no longer needed.

Goodluck. Maybe they will have a "problem" finding a used front diff for an AWD Silverado SS with the correct gear ratio....? :devil:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

most extended warranties are a joke. I'd read over the details and see what it says. maybe you can fight it. most will deny just to see if you will push the matter. push as much as possible and have the dealership put in writting your problems and note the milage and date so in case you win your appeal. good luck
:withstupid: Extended warranty companies suck. They charge a premium for the policy, they're a PITA to deal with, they don't want to pay for anything, and when they do they want a cheap repair. We've had some in our shop for transmissions that have sat here for 2+ weeks, because they buy a used trans. Example: 1st one will be wrong, 2nd will be in worse shape than the original, finally the 3rd will be good, and the whole time they're paying for a rent car. I would make more sense, and be cheaper, to fix it the right the first time and be done with it.

See if the dealer will help you deal with these bozos.

I bought an extended warranty ONCE and won't do it again. I also bought GAP insurance ONCE and won't do it again. The xtd warranty was a drop in the bucket compared to what GAP pulled on me. A drunk driver hit my wife and totaled our trailblazer and OUR insurance paid the full amount without holding back the $500 deductable just to speed up the claim and said they would just get the deductable back from the other insurance along with the principal. We file all the paperwork with GAP and hear nothing...so we go ahead and make a payment (we owed a little over $2k more than what they paid). My wife is feverishly calling GAP every day trying to get this resolved and we end up paying all but $800 of what was owed before GAP finally paid. We paid more than that to HAVE the GAP so they didn't lose a penny on us. In the end they said "We have to subtract your deductable." Well we didn't have one as far as the money went. Then they said "It took a while to process your claim. Sure but why is that my problem?