Looking To Get A Dog

SS Silv

Go to the pound and get a mutt. They are almost always great dogs and don't have all the medical problems that comes with inbreeding "purebreds". If you have to have a purbred--get a Lab or a Golden retriever.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a "Bully" I have owned Boxer's, Pits, and a few mutts. Our Bulldog stole our heart the first day we got him. Yes, they have some health issues but every breed does, just get one from a reputable breeder.

Here is a pic of Bubba at 12 weeks

Bubba013.jpg

4 months

DSC02967.jpg

Go to the pound and get a mutt. They are almost always great dogs and don't have all the medical problems that comes with inbreeding "purebreds". If you have to have a purbred--get a Lab or a Golden retriever.

I couldnt agree more with going to the pound and getting a mutt. They have full breeds there as well, might as well save a dog while you can and save yourself some $$$. Both dogs I have had came from the pound and at first they were a little nuts due to having a bad owner at early childhood. They became the best dogs once they realized they weren't going to get beat for nothing and they were there to stay. I am also in the process of buying a house and will be doing the same thing. Both dogs lived a long life, one passed at 18 and the other 15

dog.jpg

dog5.jpg

Edited by fox_forma (see edit history)

Get a "Bully" I have owned Boxer's, Pits, and a few mutts. Our Bulldog stole our heart the first day we got him. Yes, they have some health issues but every breed does, just get one from a reputable breeder.

Here is a pic of Bubba at 12 weeks

Bubba013.jpg

4 months

DSC02967.jpg

That first pic is priceless, I love it!

I say +1 for the Australian Shepherd and +1 for the German Shepherd. Both are wonderful breeds, incredibly smart, and the aussies don't get as big(correct me if I'm wrong, as my German is about 110 lbs. and from big parents)

+1 for the lab.... hey dmf what type of surgery did your dog have on his knee? was it a tplo? my dog needs a knee surgery not looking forward to it... just curious what type and the outcome and recovery?

yep, he had the TPLO. Recovery isnt bad, I heard quite a few different opinions from different vets but basically after the surgery you keep them off their feet for a good month or so. Depending on how well your dog behaves, that could mean restricting him to the cage all day, but i was able to keep mine layin down and only getting up to go to the bathroom. Around after that month of extremely restricted activity, then you just gradually get them back into it, walking them about 200 yards or so a day, increasing as time goes on. It's a lengthy recovery process, but isnt bad. Another thing is you gotta cut their food portions in half because of the no activity or else they'll just gain more weight. My lab is almost at the end of his recovery, should be 100% by april, so far he's doing great.

I know you said you were looking for a smaller dog, but take some consideration in looking at retired racing Greyhounds. They are the best dogs. Well mannered, already trained on a leash and great house dogs. I have fostered two and were the best dogs.

Shetland sheep dog (Sheltie)

Shetland Sheepdog Breed Profile

The Shetland Sheep dog, or “Sheltie” as it is affectionately known, originated from the Shetland Islands where it was used by crofters as a sheep dog. Few Shelties are used today for their original purpose as sheep dogs, but those people who have worked them vouch for their incredible stamina and instinctive ability to herd.

They were first introduced into Australia in 1936. Often referred to as a miniature Collie, the Shetland Sheep dog certainly has the overall appearance of the Rough Collie, however, it is a breed in its own right and possesses some minor distinguishing features, apart from the obvious size difference.

AVERAGE LIFESPAN

Shetland Sheepdogs live from between 12 to 16 years of age.

AVERAGE SIZE & WEIGHT

35cm to 37cm

6kg to 7kg

BREED PERSONALITY, CHARACTERISTICS & TEMPERAMENT

Although rather a small dog, the Shetland Sheep dog is certainly not fragile. When feed was in short supply on the farms, the original Shelties were ferried on to small outlying islands with a flock of sheep and left for long periods to guard the flock and fend for themselves. Only the hardy would have been able to survive. When brought back to the farms after such isolation, the dogs would thrive on attention and affection. It is probably this part of their history that makes them so devoted to their owners, but suspicious of intruders and intent on protecting the family.

COMPATIBILITY WITH OTHER PETS

Excellent. It can live happily with the family cat and will get along with most other dogs.

CARE REQUIREMENTS

The Shetland Sheep dog's glamorous jacket requires surprisingly little attention. A brush and a comb behind the ears each week will keep it in good condition. The breed's double coat enables it to adapt to both hot and cold weather, the second layer (undercoat) giving insulation against both heat and cold.

PLEASE TAKE NOTE

While the Shetland Sheep dog is certainly capable of barking, it is also smart enough to be trained not to bark unnecessarily. It makes an excellent watchdog and will alert you to visitors or unusual occurrences.

IDEAL OWNERS

Almost anyone will benefit from owning a Shetland Sheepdog. The ideal owner is someone who understands the need for occasional grooming.

we use to bread them, great dogs :thumbs:

:seeya:

I will be purchasing a house soon which will able me to get a dog. I am looking for a smaller dog. I have been looking into english bulldogs but I am not sure if I am willing to spend 2k on a dog that is prone to health problems. I have also fell in love with yorkshire terriers as my sister has two of them.

Maybe share some recomendations and/or the breed that you own.

I didn't read all the post, so some one may have suggested this, but I would highly recomend you check out a pure breed rescue group. They have wonderful dogs that desperately need a home. Me and my wife adopted a doberman from Doberman Rescue Of North Carolina http://hope4dobe.org/ . They are a wonderfull organization. Klohee was 1 and a half when we got her, house trained, basic obediance, gets along with all other animals and LOVES people and kids especially, and is the absolute sweetest dog I have ever been around. She is about to get her AKC good citizenship award. Very smart, as are most Dobies. Wonderful dogs all around. She is a spoiled house dog and sleeps with us most of the time. I also have a Min Pin, definately not a good choice for a novist dog owner. They need a lot of exercise and attention. There are rescue groups for just about every breed, so look one up when you decide which breed you want.

post-12650-1236314146_thumb.jpg

Edited by bryanbone (see edit history)

congrats on the new best friend :cheers:

Dont know how far the breeder is from your house, but I would recomend a puppy diaper possibly for the first ride home. On the way home from picking up my beagle, she peed in my moms lap on the way home in the truck, thank god it was on my mom and not the leather or carpet. I honestly think she was scared because she peed right as I got onto the highway (Im guessing she hadnt heard something that loud and was nervous).

However now she is my navigator and loves the truck. She even gets excited when I wash the truck.

Edited by 03maSSS (see edit history)