Awd Trans Removal,tc Install, And Re Install Time?

I am in on the GB for the TCS converter and am planning on installing the converter when I get it on my back in my garage, no lift. How much of a pain in the ass is it going to be, and approx. how long can I expect to everything to take?

Does the transfer case have to be separated from the tranny, or is it easier to pull it all at once. What is my best approach to this?

Dan and I take 3-hrs to remove the transmission and transfer case, we could do it in 2+ if we actually busted ass on it; to reinstall take that much time again plus an additional 30-45 mins. If you are by yourself, double the time. You are going to have to separate the transfer case because with it attached you cannot shove it rearward enough IMO to properly R&R the converter.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I would not try it by myself...again :(

Take as much stuff down as you can and then get a buddy when its time to actually drop the trans.'

The TC bolts are fun :)

Just take your time and keep track of everything.

a new transfercase to trans gasket might be needed

Thanks Mr P, I thought it would be easier to separate the two. That's about what I figured it would take. I will not be doing it myself, I have done a clutch in a Honda by myself and that was enough of a pain to never want to do it by myself again. I couldn't even imagine doing the tranny in my truck myself...

detjoe, you said I may need a gasket for the trans to transfer case, do you happen to know the PN on this?

... I couldn't even imagine doing the tranny in my truck myself...

I've done mine solo at least 4-times on this truck alone, along with lots of past vehicles. The only part I value an extra set of hands is when it comes time to remove the last 2 bellhousing bolts and lower the transmission, I've had it fall on my arm once and take off a lot of skin, I forgot the trans + converter + ATF is about 190+ pounds. :banghead:

probably wana do the front pump gasket too right?

Yeah $7 is cheap insurance.

No. It isn't an insurance issue. If it isn't leaking leave it alone. Without the proper tools or know how you can cause problems with pulling the front pump. If someone walks you through it or know's how it's not so bad, just not needed. You can cause problems if the thrust washer doesn't go back into place correctly. If you forget the seal on the input shaft for the torque converter that you need to remove to get the pump past the input shaft end you will have a converter that doesn't lock until you pull the trans again and re-install that seal. If you don't pull the bellhousing you can have one hell of a time getting the pump back in and possibly ruin the seal that goes around the pump. If you pull the bellhousing you can ruin the torx bit bolts and a few sockets that hold them in place. You can also break the tcc solenoid if you forget to pull it before you remove the pump. You can also destroy the pump itself from over-torquing it. Pretty much if you're new to transmissions and have no help, leave the pump alone.

Doing a torque converter on your back in one of these trucks your first time will take 8-12 hours from pulling it in the garage to out. If you do it faster you're doing better than most that do it that way for the first time.

... Without the proper tools or know how you can cause problems with pulling the front pump...

Sorry I misread the original question, I thought he was asking about replacing the front pump seal (for the torque converter hub). You cannot even BUY a front pump gasket by itself, they are only available in complete transmission overhaul kits; the seal is a cheap item at any auto parts store and if the existing seal has more than 30K-miles *or* you are installing a new converter with fresh converter hub then I would replace the front pump seal. AFA disassembling the transmission, I agree with zippy 99.9% of us have no business pulling the front pump.

Mr. P.

I used to buy that gasket from the dealer seperatly and it was around $7 list so it sounded like that's what you were talking about. I think we're on the same page now. :thumbs: The pump seal if it at all looks like it might have leaked it's a good time to replace it. The correct install tool helps, but it can be done gently with a hammer as long as you are carefull in removing it.

Doing a torque converter on your back in one of these trucks your first time will take 8-12 hours from pulling it in the garage to out. If you do it faster you're doing better than most that do it that way for the first time.

Thank you Zippy. I totally agree. It isn't going to be a 50 minute job for a rookie on their back in a garage. Hell I feel I am an above average shadetree mechanic and have done about a half dozen tranny / converter swaps in my garage and each one took no less than a day. My advice is just to take your time and enjoy the new experience.

i have done this with steve as well it takes 2 hours with 2 people thats removing the transfer case. It honestly is not a safe thing to do by yourself on your back. Many things can go wrong. also seating a converter can be a pita .you can easily pinch it damaging the pump or if it needs to be shimed and you dont you can ruin the converter in turn sending trash into the tranny. If this is your first time i would honestly take it some where. If not please be carefull and us guys on here will do our best to help out with some questions. on a lighter note the time frame also depends on the amount of beer consumed