Right Rear Brake Problem

dcairns

A couple years ago, my right rear brake started grinding, took a look at it, and the inside brake pad was down to the metal, and gouging the disk. The other brakes looked fine, and plenty of pad left on them. :wtf: So I replaced the disk and pads, and all seemed well. Then just the other day... grind grind grind.... :( Same exact thing, inside right rear pad is gone. Seems like this must be an issue with the caliper not moving freely on it's mounting 'bolts'. I don't recall if I put any grease on them last time. Anybody have any other ideas before I go out and re-do it again? :confused:

I had the same issue when I had my truck inspected last year. I replaced the caliper pins on each side and used high temp brake grease on them. Haven't had any issue since.

Seem the rubber boots had leaked slightly and water had gotten in and corroded the pins - making it hard for them to slide freely...

Super cheap to do so it might be worth taking a look at.

Tore down the brakes and sure enough both side rear caliper pins looked to be rather thin on the grease. And it was a funny grey color. Not sure if that was the original color of the grease, but it did not look very healthy. I also noticed the left side inboard brake pad was wearing faster than the outboard. So they both were having some issues. Given the condition of the grease, I suppose I better look at the front brakes sometime soon. Pads seem to be wearing ok, but I bet the grease could at least use freshing.

I had a hard time getting the correct brake hardware kit (spring clips and rubber boots). Parts stores do not always have a catagory for the SS, and the counter jokey often thinks that a 1500 Silverado is good enough, or they ask for the engine size and think it is a 1500 HD :wtf: But on the third try I got the right kit. Strangely enough, it was Pep Boys that came through. I had just about given up on those guys for parts, as they have become almost useless of late, unless you want to buy Chinese trash accessories that are vaguely auto related.

The correct part number for the rear Brake Hardware kit is H5659Q (they had a ProStop brand).