Switch To 10w30?

Well spring is just around the corner here in Iowa and I am in need of an oil change and I'm still deciding on what oil to use (right now i'm using mobil1 gold cap 5w30) and hear of people switching to a 10w30 in the summer months and I'm not very mechanical when it comes to this stuff so Im asking is there any difference between the 2? Would I benifit in the summer months switching to a 10w30 oil or would it be best to keep it at 5w30?

Also some of the other things I've heard from people is instead of just switching the key on and starting it right away that you should turn the key over and let everything prime itself and wait to start it.

Well spring is just around the corner here in Iowa and I am in need of an oil change and I'm still deciding on what oil to use (right now i'm using mobil1 gold cap 5w30) and hear of people switching to a 10w30 in the summer months and I'm not very mechanical when it comes to this stuff so Im asking is there any difference between the 2? Would I benifit in the summer months switching to a 10w30 oil or would it be best to keep it at 5w30?

Also some of the other things I've heard from people is instead of just switching the key on and starting it right away that you should turn the key over and let everything prime itself and wait to start it.

When hot, both oils have a measured viscosity of 30; if you want heavier oil then go 5W-40 IMO. Unless you got your foot in it ALL the time (towing or extended hard driving) I would stick with the 5W-30. Again my 2-cents.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

...BTW, key on only really primes the fuel system and even that, it takes about 1 second to be at full pressure. If you key on and start right away, it may take an extra turnover to fire. I think I saw someone talking in another thread about it lets the O2 sensors heat up...this is not needed as well. Your tune ignores the O2 readings until the motor is warmed up anyway (open loop).

5w30 is a waste in any region besides the frozen north. none of my vehicles run that stuff. blazer runs 10w30 and silverado runs 15w40. . the thinner oil makes for more of piston slap. my silverado with 15w40 is much quieter and runs much better then previous motors on that 5w30 crap. My bike even runs 20w50

Edited by Quik (see edit history)

fact: the majority of engine wear occurs on cold start. so why run a thicker oil thats gonna take longer to reach moving parts? run what the manual calls for unless your wot through the mojave, imo. m1 5-30

very true but a good syn oil leaves parts with a thin film on them so they dont have issues upond a cold start