Some Timing Questions

RacerJJ

I currently run my truck in Open Loop Speed Density at all times and I race my truck only. I run with unleaded racing gas exclusively. In my tune, I run the timing in the 30's at WOT. I have no knock retard, I can't hear any knock, and my plugs show no signs of detonation. I have some people on the HP Tuners board telling me that my timing is way to high and that I should turn it down. Can someone shed some light on this for me? TIA...

You need to put it on the dyno to see if there are any gains at that high of timing. If you are getting the most hp at say 27 and see no additional hp on 30 then why have it that high. If you do see higher hp at 30 and have no knock by all means leave it there. If 30 sees no knock but does not show any hp increase then you should lower it so you have more of a cushion before knocking in case of a bad batch of gas or high air/coolant temps etc.

The only way to know for sure if you are benefiting from that amount of timing is to put it on the dyno.

BTW, did you see me beat that Mercedes lat Saturday? I also got beat by a diesel Ram that day. I wanted to go again but too many delays for incidents at the track. Sorry to hear about your ticket on the Metrolink.

on the dyno on a bolt on ls1 i gained 1hp by removing 2* timing. i went from 30* to 28 and picked up 1hp.

we had this talk before your motor doesnt have enough compression to need the higher octane.

put it on dyno to see if youre helping your cause or hurting it

I'm sure you are right about the octane but I get unleaded racing gas for free and I know for a fact that it pings with 91 so I am going to keep using it. I will look into the timeing tonight.

it pings cause you have to much timing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, to much timing for 91.

on the dyno on a bolt on ls1 i gained 1hp by removing 2* timing. i went from 30* to 28 and picked up 1hp.

we had this talk before your motor doesnt have enough compression to need the higher octane.

put it on dyno to see if youre helping your cause or hurting it

:withstupid:

I'm sure you are right about the octane but I get unleaded racing gas for free and I know for a fact that it pings with 91 so I am going to keep using it. I will look into the timeing tonight.
Are you going to dyno it? That is the only way to tell if you make more/less hp by advancing/retarding timing. You will not be able to tell a 1-10 hp difference using the ole butt dyno.

Since the racing gas is free then I would keep using it also but that does not necessarily mean you are benefiting from more timing. Only a dyno will tell you.

Edited by SRT10KLLR (see edit history)

Well, I don't have the means or the time to track down an AWD dyno. It runs fine and consistent the way I have so I am leaving it.

I am willing to turn down the timing a bit but I can't figure out which cells to change on HP Tuners. Any help?

A lot of good points here. Before anything else is said and done, have you logged your truck to see what the total timming is on your truck John. Just because you are commanding 30* doesn't mean your truck is seeing 30* and as I recall, your truck runs real good so obviously something is working right. as far as leaded gas goes... i would run an injector cleaner when you are practicing to clean out your injectors and since you no longer use o2, you have no problem there

Thanks Reynaldo. yep, everything is running fine. I just got my own HP Tuners so I have just been playing with it, that's all. I did some smoothing and turned some things off and such, loaded the tune and went out for a drive. I hit the gas about one quarter throttle and the rpm's surge and then I have no pedal. The truck is still running but I have no accelerator. Not sure what happened with that so I turn it off and re-load my old tune and everything works fine. Any ideas on what I may have mistakenly changed to cause something like that to happen?

BTW, I am running unleaded gas only now. Unleaded racing gas.

your first chart on the histrogram is your timing chart. go drive for a few minutes with WOT bursts. stop the recording and play back where you went WOT. youll see the cells light up. this is your WOT timing. then go to editor and cross reference the two charts

Thanks Reynaldo. yep, everything is running fine. I just got my own HP Tuners so I have just been playing with it, that's all. I did some smoothing and turned some things off and such, loaded the tune and went out for a drive. I hit the gas about one quarter throttle and the rpm's surge and then I have no pedal. The truck is still running but I have no accelerator. Not sure what happened with that so I turn it off and re-load my old tune and everything works fine. Any ideas on what I may have mistakenly changed to cause something like that to happen?

BTW, I am running unleaded gas only now. Unleaded racing gas.

This is one off the drawback of HPTuners I believe... maybe it has been addressed and fixed but you can not load and compare two different tunes... however you need to go table by table untill you notice what are the differences and maybe you can catch what the differences are.

On a side note I need to download HPTuners so i can help you out more

your first chart on the histrogram is your timing chart. go drive for a few minutes with WOT bursts. stop the recording and play back where you went WOT. youll see the cells light up. this is your WOT timing. then go to editor and cross reference the two charts

It is difficult for him to do this since his truck is a strictly off-road unregistered vehicle now. when he tunes he mostly goes by the track and 1/4 mile logs

This is one off the drawback of HPTuners I believe... maybe it has been addressed and fixed but you can not load and compare two different tunes... however you need to go table by table untill you notice what are the differences and maybe you can catch what the differences are.

On a side note I need to download HPTuners so i can help you out more

since ive owned the software i could always compare tunes

It is difficult for him to do this since his truck is a strictly off-road unregistered vehicle now. when he tunes he mostly goes by the track and 1/4 mile logs

well that kinda sucks

since ive owned the software i could always compare tunes

well that kinda sucks

I break the rules and drive around the house at WOT all the time! :devil:

I can compare tunes just fine too.

Reynaldo, I'd let you download my copy but you have to have the interface connector chinga derra too so downloading it won't do much good.

I took some test drives out at the track today in the parking lot. Everything is fine I think. Timing at WOT was 29.5 and AFR was between 12.5 and 13.0. We'll see how I do on some actual full passes tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys!

I break the rules and drive around the house at WOT all the time! :devil:

I can compare tunes just fine too.

Reynaldo, I'd let you download my copy but you have to have the interface connector chinga derra too so downloading it won't do much good.

I took some test drives out at the track today in the parking lot. Everything is fine I think. Timing at WOT was 29.5 and AFR was between 12.5 and 13.0. We'll see how I do on some actual full passes tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys!

27-29 seems to be a sweet spot for the LS motors. Like i stated i seen a gain of 1hp backing it down some. with your timing and AFR it seems to look promising