Need Advice On Buying A Camcorder

Holty

I"m shopping around for a new camcorder. I would like to get one with a built in Hard Drive, preferably a Sony or a Canon. Does anyone have experience with the newer High Definition camcorders? I want a High Def camcorder, but am unsure how to view the HD content on the computer or on my big screen? Do i need to burn it to a blue ray disc or hook it up directly using HDMI cables? Any advice on specific camcorder models would be appreciated.

I have the Sony HD one (not sure on the part number). Good little camera however the files are HUGE when you download them to the computer. I still haven't messed around with different formatting so the Sony tag is all I have (instead of .wmv file or something like that). The camera can hook right up to my flat screen so when we want to watch a home movie, I just hook her up and play. The HDD on the camera has something like 30 gig so it holds alot of files. Cost me around 1K when all said and don (camera bag, additional memory sticks, cleaning kit etc.)

Thanks for the advice Kevin.

I"ve been reading a lot on the new technologies and am having a hard time deciding between HDD camcorders and ones with Flash memory.

Also, what format does your camcorder record in? AVCHD?

I have the Sony HD one (not sure on the part number). Good little camera however the files are HUGE when you download them to the computer. I still haven't messed around with different formatting so the Sony tag is all I have (instead of .wmv file or something like that). The camera can hook right up to my flat screen so when we want to watch a home movie, I just hook her up and play. The HDD on the camera has something like 30 gig so it holds alot of files. Cost me around 1K when all said and don (camera bag, additional memory sticks, cleaning kit etc.)

I to have the Sony HDD 1. Great little cam but like Krambo set, it uses up a lot of space when downloading to laptop. I to have not played with it much. the Model # is DCR-SR42. Sony always has great products.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, just to update this thread, in case anyone cares, i ended up ordering a Sony HDR-XR100.

Sony HDR-XR100 80GB High Definition Handycam Camcorder

* 80GB HDD

* 1920 x 1080 Full HD

* 4Mp 1/5" Exmor CMOS

* 30mm Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar T Lens

* 10x Optical

* 2.7" Wide LCD

* HDMI Mini

* Face Detection

* Smile Shutter

41PSmh4JqcL._SS500_.jpg

Edited by Holty (see edit history)

I would assume because it is HD the files have to stay large or it will lose the quality, and going to .wav will reduce the quality by a good amount. On a compute screen it will look HD but on a TV it wont. Just a guess though

Let us know how that works out for you Holty, been looking into a new set-up myself