Speaker / Amp Problem

Hey Guys,

I've noticed lately that the speakers on the right side (both front and rear) of the truck sound blown at times, yet are fine at other times. None of the audio in the truck is stock. I'm running Infinity Kappa speakers all around, powered by a Soundstream amp (which I think is the problem). The speakers where brand new when I installed them but the amp is one that I took out of another car for a friend.

So now for the questions:

1. Does this sound more like a speaker or amp problem?

2. What are some recommendations for new speakers if they are the problem? I've been looking at the Infinity's again, but not sure. I also don't want to spend a crap load of money on them right now.

3. If I have to replace the amp any suggestions? I'm thinking about the Soundstream STL4.320 because of dimension limitations.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Daryl

I checked the wiring about 2 weeks ago for the speakers, but not the amp. Maybe like mentioned the ground is messed up for the amp, although I would think that would affect all the speakers and not just the right side. The reason I'm thinking that it could be the amp is that I don't know how old it actually is since I pulled it out of another car at the time. It just seems really odd that both the front and rear right speakers would go out at the same time.

if they go out at the same time it has to be the amp, the wiring or sumthign to do with the head unit...check yer rca wires and make sure they arent crossed or frayed...same thing with yer speaker wires...it takes alot to mess an amp up...trust me..ive got enuff stuff in my garage to make 3 more stereo systems..lol...

if u r lookin for new speakers...best thing on the market right now is image dynamics cs series...able to handle decent power and sound amazing...once i get my sss im doing a sick ass stereo install...ill post up pics....

Edited by got vortec (see edit history)

The only reason I'm thinking the amp at all is because I have no idea how it was treated before I started to use it. I was thinking it could be the head unit also, but I'm crossing my fingers that it isn't. Haven't checked the RCA's just yet, I'll have to pull the dash apart and look those over. Seeing that they are some cheap ones, it's possible those are the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

How loud and how much bass you usually listen to it at. I think you either separated the cone from the magnet of the speaker. In otherwords they are blown. or you are overpowering your speakers with the amp. But i think they're blown. especially if only 2 of them are actin up

How loud and how much bass you usually listen to it at. I think you either separated the cone from the magnet of the speaker. In otherwords they are blown. or you are overpowering your speakers with the amp. But i think they're blown. especially if only 2 of them are actin up

I normally listen to it at 6 - 8 (scale starting at 0). As for bass, it's all done by the subs. I have the HPF set to either 125 or 80 (pretty sure it's 80 if I remember correctly). So the mid's dont have much bass going to them at all.

can you switch the channels to test to speakers? I'd do that if the speakes still pop, then they are your problem. If the other speakers pop and give you trouble, then it sounds like that channle on the amp has some problems.

can you switch the channels to test to speakers? I'd do that if the speakes still pop, then they are your problem. If the other speakers pop and give you trouble, then it sounds like that channle on the amp has some problems.

Good suggestion. I'll have to do that and see what happens.

Good suggestion. I'll have to do that and see what happens.

i think it is your amp, i have a soundstream amp running my components and my right channel speakers sound blown at times too, i was reading this and about fell outta my chair. i too bought my amps used