Is It Alright To Run 2 Different Tires Sizes On Awd Ss's?

I bought some rims and they guy is giving me the tires with 40% tread but there are 2 different tires sizes. I assume they guy used wider tires on the back as this seems to be common with 2WD trucks. The fronts are 285/45/22 and the backs are 305/45/22. Is it possible to run these on an AWD SS or am I asking for trouble? I was going to sell my old rims or use them for winter but I can't use them if the tire sizes will cause problems with my trans or transfer case. What do you guys think?

I can't say for sure :confused: but I see no reason why a wider tire would hurt the system... :dunno:

I would say as long as the tread and overall height of the wheel and tire are the same at all four corners, I can't see a problem occuring. As long as the wider tires are on the rear, as to not over work the power steering.

Here's the spec details when comparing both tires:

(TA)TireA: 285/45/22 (TB)TireB: 305/45/22

Sidewall Height: TA:5.05 TB:5.4 difference:0.35

Section Width: TA:11.22 TB:12.01 differnece:0.79

Overall Diameter: TA:32.1 TB:32.81 difference:0.71

Circumference: TA:100.84 TB:103.7 difference:2.23

Revs per mile: TA:628.32 TB:614.75 difference:-13.57

The 305's are bigger around(circumference) so they turn less than the 285's per mile so thar worries me. Would this mess up my AWD?

I would like to know to.. as I'm running 325 width and want to keep 325 in the back but not in the front.. even though it barely rubs or rubs at all.. just... i have to take wide as turns lol

It will burn out the transfer case over a short time. Could be 3,000 miles, could be 20,000 miles, but it does add undue stress to the driveline. The awd driveline is designed to operate each wheel at a different speed for events like turning, where outside wheels are going faster than the inside wheels. That is fine, because the vehicle isnt always constantly turning, its going straight most of the time. This was taken into the design considerations and the differentials obviously assist with this function. By adding the rear largere tires, the fronts will be constantly spinning faster than the rears, adding unecessary wear, creating more heat, and causing potential failure of the transfer case components. Also, when I purchased my new transfer case, the warranty specifically stated that it would not cover a damaged unit due to running different sized tires in the front and back. The company I bought it from also stressed that several times over the phone. They specifically asked me to run the same sized tires all the way around. They also told me to be sure to replace all 4 tires at the same time. I wasnt so sure on that, but after speaking with the dealer and other experts, I have found the same answer from all of them. Just dont do it is my advice.

It will burn out the transfer case over a short time. Could be 3,000 miles, could be 20,000 miles, but it does add undue stress to the driveline. ...

:withstupid: x2.

The rule is - the height of all tires should be within 1/4" of each other; any more variance than that and you will activate the limited slip unit in the transfer case and/or the rear end.

Mr. P. :)