Tune Concern

CenWaSS

So we just installed a maggie last week or so and the truck seems to run pretty good, well so so I guess considering (i'll explain). The truck launches hard and pulls really good until I hit 3rd gear at about 4k, then it seems to fall flat on its face :confused: We've determined I have a rich tune (10.0 A/F under boost) and will be receving one soon. Anyone have any advice where to go from here, or will she come around once I get the leaner tune?

A little unrated in this section, but could it be my stall that is given me issues?

Thanks.

Edited by CenWaSS (see edit history)

Since you have a maggie, I assume that around 4k and third is when the radix builds all of its heat and either you are heatsoaking bad and loosing all kinds of timing or you need a proper tune. get some one that really knows, and has experience with a supercharged SS to do your tune.

Since you have a maggie, I assume that around 4k and third is when the radix builds all of its heat and either you are heatsoaking bad and loosing all kinds of timing or you need a proper tune. get some one that really knows, and has experience with a supercharged SS to do your tune.

Good advise here. It just may be your increased IAT's pulling alot of spark advance.

The truck launches hard and pulls really good until I hit 3rd gear at about 4k, then it seems to fall flat on its face :confused:

I am wondering if you are feeling the torque converter locking. It is a popular speed to do so.

If it is the converter locking, you will notice a drop in RPM and a "bog" as you describe. From what I gather from your post, your truck shifts into third gear and THEN you get the bog. So if it is the converter locking, it may not be as bad as you think. My E.T. and especially my MPH improved alot by locking the converter just after the 3rd gear shift. Talk to your tuner and have him keep your converter unlocked in all gears at WOT if you feel it will help.

Thanks for the advice. So it doesnt sound like anything to do with running to rich? Ill try and see where the stall is locking and have my tuner keer her unlocked until after 3rd gear, sounds like that is more of the issue.

It weird cause I raced a TBSS AWD with tune, CAI, catback and would get him off the line and stay ahead until the dead spot in 3rd. The TBSS would go by me as if I was standing still and get me by 2-3 lengths.

Being rich isn't helping for sure. I'd agree with Kevin. You're likely getting a TCC lockup at that point which can cause KR* depending on how it's tuned due to a boost spike when lock up occurs. If you get lockup and timing reduction at the same time you'd be screwed.

My tuner says its normal for the maggie to die on the top end due to IAT's. To prove it he says to compare mph in the 1/4 with maggie powered rigs compared to NA or turbo charged vehicles. He also confirmed my convertor is tuned to stay unlocked and only locks at cruising speed in 4th gear. He said we could cure my IAT issue with a meth kit...here we go, mo money :cry:

What are your thoughts, how shall I proceed :confused:

If you're in the 10.x range through the first two gears and then notice a bog in third, it could be cat converter protection kicking in, richening you up even further. Normally, you wouldn't feel this, as it would still leave you in the "optimal" AFR range for best power. However if you're starting out in the 10s, it'd drop you into the 9s and be a noticable drop.

If you're in the 10.x range through the first two gears and then notice a bog in third, it could be cat converter protection kicking in, richening you up even further. Normally, you wouldn't feel this, as it would still leave you in the "optimal" AFR range for best power. However if you're starting out in the 10s, it'd drop you into the 9s and be a noticable drop.

Ya I'm thinking this may be the issue. My A/F gauge only reads 10.0 so Im lower than that, I read a 10.0 even when at 1/2 to WOT throttle. I've got another leaner tune coming, should be here this week :cheers:

On and now my engine light is on, throwing cat code for loss of efficiency or something like that?