Will Resonators Help Quiet Clicking From Headers?

Les Hall

I added Pacetter Lt's and deleted my cats about a week ago, & the clicking around the collectors is really starting to bug me. I knew It would be louder without the cats but the clicking is bad,,I've checked over & over and can't find an exhaust leak,,It seems to be comming from the collector area,, I was curious what do Resonators do??? could they quiet down the clicking sound? I also kinda got a ruff Idle too, I mainly notice it when I go from drive to park,,The rpm's drop down below 500, and it sounds like it dies,,then it picks back up and just seems to Idle kinda ruff,,,almost sounds like a cam lope,,But I don't have a cam,,I've checked my plugs,,cleaned my mass airflow sensor, & put my stock wires back on and nothing seems to help,,,Any Ideas?

I added Pacetter Lt's and deleted my cats about a week ago, & the clicking around the collectors is really starting to bug me. I knew It would be louder without the cats but the clicking is bad,,I've checked over & over and can't find an exhaust leak,,It seems to be comming from the collector area,, I was curious what do Resonators do??? could they quiet down the clicking sound? I also kinda got a ruff Idle too, I mainly notice it when I go from drive to park,,The rpm's drop down below 500, and it sounds like it dies,,then it picks back up and just seems to Idle kinda ruff,,,almost sounds like a cam lope,,But I don't have a cam,,I've checked my plugs,,cleaned my mass airflow sensor, & put my stock wires back on and nothing seems to help,,,Any Ideas?

what kind of mufflers are you running?

what kind of mufflers are you running?

22" magnaflow, Daul 2.5 in & Dual 2.5 out, with internal X-pipe, dumped before the axle,,,It sounds great outta the muffler,,,It's just in the area of the header collectors that this annoying clicking and rattle sound comes from,,,I've been told it's because the header tubes are way thinner than manifolds but It makes it sound like an old beater with blown donut gaskets,,But I can't find any leaks,,just sounds like the sounds kinda soaking through the headers,,I'm gonna get it up on a rack again and have another exhaust guy inspect it for leaks,,But I may just have to live with it,,I did gain 2 lengths in the 1/4 :D

i feel the same as him. 20" single magnaflow dumped b4 axle. just put my Lts today and im not sure if i like it. will high flow cats quiet it a bit?

and that smell sweet baby jesus that smell is horrible!! call me a poon or whatever but it kinda gives me a headache lol

please help the both of us.

Edited by bsebll22 (see edit history)

I have the same set up but no x pipe and dumped behind each tire I have no clicking sound and as for the idle problem when was the last time you did a fuel induction service

never, it's got around 30,000 do I need to?

i feel the same as him. 20" single magnaflow dumped b4 axle. just put my Lts today and im not sure if i like it. will high flow cats quiet it a bit?

and that smell sweet baby jesus that smell is horrible!! call me a poon or whatever but it kinda gives me a headache lol

please help the both of us.

Those Cats I'm sending ya would tone down the smell,

it helps a lot with rough idleing or if your truck feels like its about to stall. cleans out your whole fuel and air system I did one at work last week and I can feel the difference, gas mileage went up too its good to do it every 30 to 40k to get all that carbon build up out of there

I never really noticed any of these problems?? I did notice the exhaust in general is louder from the headers but no clicking noise. I know Shaun (KcsilveradoSs) put on his Dynatechs, highflow cats, and corsa sport and he said he had the same rough idle like your having. Im not sure if he has it corrected or he is waiting on a tune. Hopefully he chimes in on this matter.......

it helps a lot with rough idleing or if your truck feels like its about to stall. cleans out your whole fuel and air system I did one at work last week and I can feel the difference, gas mileage went up too its good to do it every 30 to 40k to get all that carbon build up out of there

So I just take it to a local Dealership & have it done? What all does it involve?

do the headers have an erg valve hookup? That will need to be blocked off. I just put a plate on my dynatech headers a few weeks ago.

yep Pacestter Lt's, came with the block off plate , Intalled that 1rst.

I also kinda got a ruff Idle too, I mainly notice it when I go from drive to park,,The rpm's drop down below 500, and it sounds like it dies,,then it picks back up and just seems to Idle kinda ruff,,,almost sounds like a cam lope,,But I don't have a cam,,I've checked my plugs,,cleaned my mass airflow sensor, & put my stock wires back on and nothing seems to help,,,Any Ideas?

My truck was in the shop last week and the idle (on the factory PCM) was acting the same as yours (low and sounding like it was going to stall) There is no adjustment for the idle, it is all computer controlled. So they clean the TB and when they went to update the PCM it would not respond and it fried it. They blamed it on my remote starter but still covered under warrenty. Good thing, cause it would have cost me like $800.00 they said.

Edited by JF-03-SS (see edit history)

My truck was in the shop last week and the idle (on the factory PCM) was acting the same as yours (low and sounding like it was going to stall) There is no adjustment for the idle, it is all computer controlled. So they clean the TB and when they went to update the PCM it would not respond and it fried it. They blamed it on my remote starter but still covered under warrenty. Good thing, cause it would have cost me like $800.00 they said.

So did it still do it after they cleaned the throttle body,,,or was it in the pcm? I opened my throttle body up and wiped it out the best I could with smoe Mass Air Flow cleaner,,I may need to take it off and clean it like I had to my 99, I assume it's the same setup? just a couple bolts and it comes off ?