Header Wrap Questions,,,

Les Hall

I really hate to cover up those nice ceramic coated Pacsetters with some header wrap,,But I'm wandering if wrapping them will quiet down some of the Header clicking, I'm only hearing it under the cab so I thought about wrapping from just above the collectors back as far as the wrap will go,, (AFTER I inspect it one more time to make sure It's not an exhaust leak causing the clicking) Once the wrap has been on for some time, will the finish be the same if I remove it? And is there any trick to making sure the wrap stays in place ?

Edited by miSSouriSS (see edit history)

May be ok over coated headers, but don't coat any part of uncoated tubing unless you want it to rot away. Dynomating the cab would be the route to take IMO. How loud is the ticking and what rpm do you hear it?

What plug wires are you running?

May be ok over coated headers, but don't coat any part of uncoated tubing unless you want it to rot away. Dynomating the cab would be the route to take IMO. How loud is the ticking and what rpm do you hear it?

What plug wires are you running?

It's noticable at Idle but not bad unless I'm close to a building like at a drive thru then it gets kinda embarissing, sounds like an old beater with blown donut gaskets,,,also hear the clicking while driving along if ya really listen.

MSD wires.

Those are MSD wires looks like either msd coil packs or factory painted ones.

just painted coils,,,

Hard to get rid of header tic no matter what you do. It boills down to the thinkness of the metal and its ability to deaden valve train noise. The Bassani's I have are made of 14 gauge steel and you can still hear it to a certine degree. One thing to rememeber also, headers will basically act as a tuneng fork and allow the vibrations and harmonics of the valve train to be heard. Cast iron manifolds are much more dence and able to soak up that noise. Not alot you can do you cover it up, regardless of what you do. Though a cog belt driven blower will give you somthing else to listen to if you want to upgrade :jester:

Edited by Badkarma (see edit history)

IMO def do not wrap the headers. First of all from experience it is an absolute PITA to wrap them right and have them come out looking ok. It also tends to rot out the headers. Now with coated idk, may not. But I wouldn't take the risk, and besides they look a hell of a lot better unwrapped. :thumbs: If you really want to get rid of the noise I would have to agree with Big. Dynomat (or similar brand) may cut down the noise to a tolerable level (and reduce road noise). I also agree with Badkarma a nice whistle sound to distract you from other noise would work too. Lol. :chevy:

Hope this helps.

Rob

Dont do header wrap on mild steel headers. Stainless steel is ok because they wont rot out. Wrap holds in moisture. If you have a clicking sound sounds like you might have a exhaust leak. I would check that out first. Headers do make more noise then cast iron manifolds but thats the drawback of a better flowing exhaust.

Don't wrap them.....there is no need to since yours are coated. Some header tick is normal. My suggestion is to check and make sure the collector donut gaskets are seated properly, and that the front 02s are snugged down and not loose. Also, check to make sure your header bolts are tight......sound can travel.....

I wrapped a set of 390 AMC headers in my buddy's Javelin, two years later we took the engine out, I grabbed a header tube and it collapsed in my hand.

We removed the wrap and most of the header tubes near the collector were paper thin, we could crush several between our fingers. NASTY!

Are you SURE there isn't a small header gasket leak or collector gasket leak?