Identity Theft Question

rojo_143

I am trying to sell a freestyle BMX bike on craigslist. I recieved an e-mail from a person who is interested in the bike but it seem kind of leary I know not to except a cashiers check or money order or anything like that my question is he is asking for my personal address and name so he can write me a check, is he able to gain any other info using that information. the last thing i want is all the money to be drained out of my account right before i have to move my family accross country. i have not gave him this info yet until i confirm that he is paying with a personal check. I also told him that the check has to clear my account then he will recieve the bike.

Justin,

Is it still available ? I am interested and also satisfied with the condition of this property. I would like to make an outright purchase for it .I will appreciate it if you can withdraw the advert from the web so that I know it is been held for me . I don't mind adding additional $50 for you to do that. I would have loved to call you on this but I am a bad stammerer and will not feel comfortable talking over the phone . I will be paying with a check and my movers will be coming over for the pick up as soon as you must have received and cashed the check.I might not be available for the pick up but I am OK with the information provided in the ad. I will need the following information for proper deliver of the check to you

Name on the payment.

Full address designated for the payment of the property

I will really appreciate buying this item from you.Please get back to me with the information necessary.

Thank you.

Gerald

Need advice? Thanks guys

That is what i thought and it is kind of funny that he said he didn't want to call me but no where in the article did i post my phone number. If i were to give him my name and address can he do anything with it??

Looking at the wording and phrasing used, it looks as though they don't have a very strong grasp of the English language.

Looks fishy to me

:withstupid:

Don't do it!!!!

It's a classic scam. You deposit the check, give him or his representatives the merchandise and then sometime later the bank realizes the check is phony and withdraws the funds from your account to cover it.

Tell him to show up in person with cash in hand. You don't mind if he stutters. You'll never hear from him again.