W.o.t. Lock Up Point

12'SROCK

Just curious..... Thoughs of you who have aftermarket TC have you had your truck dynoed with it locked vs unlocked? I know when the TQ curves cross thats your ideal lock up point...Where do you have yours set and have you track tested your lock up points? When i dynoed my truck my TQ graphs never crossed under 5000 rpms, and i made way more power and torque with it unlock there for I dont lock mine at WOT.

FWIW, alot of torque converter manufacturers recommend not locking at WOT at all as it will burn the lock up clutch, the only tq converter manufacturer that I can think of which will allow a WOT lockup is CircleD, who "dares you to break" their best converter :devil:

FWIW, alot of torque converter manufacturers recommend not locking at WOT at all as it will burn the lock up clutch, the only tq converter manufacturer that I can think of which will allow a WOT lockup is CircleD, who "dares you to break" their best converter :devil:

whats a performance converter if you cant lock it.....my precision industries converter is a triple disk and i can lock it at WOT with out any worries....the PI has by far the hardest lockup

If you search around on the Vette forums, guys sometimes lock up in 2nd gear (for the auto tranny's) and have shown a nice MPG gain however does little for the E.T. Lock-up through a gear shift places a ton of stress on the input shaft (among other parts). I will be experimenting with lock-up again with a N/A motor however I really expect to NOT lock the TCC for best E.T.

For boosted motors, the lock up gives additional load which may increase boost and overall power (increased E.Ts). At least that is how I see it.

If anyone is considering locking at WOT and is making good power...at the very least, you want a multi disk lock-up clutch in the converter...again IMHO.

whats a performance converter if you cant lock it.....my precision industries converter is a triple disk and i can lock it at WOT with out any worries....the PI has by far the hardest lockup

The CircleD is supposed to have a pretty serious lockup also...I would assume that you can lock a triple disc at WOT, but I thought that I read somewhere that PI does not recommend locking any of their converters at WOT, even the triple disc...I could be having a brain fart though

My PI is set to lock up in 3rd gear @WOT between 110-115mph........

Curious as to the benefit of locking it in 3rd at that speed...sounds like it would lock as you're going through the traps (if you run it in the 1/4) (not trying to be an ass, just trying to learn something new :) )

Curious as to the benefit of locking it in 3rd at that speed...sounds like it would lock as you're going through the traps (if you run it in the 1/4) (not trying to be an ass, just trying to learn something new :) )

your not supposed to lock any converter before the 3rd gear...its no bueno on the trans.....they say if you do lock it it should be where your TQ curves cross on the dyno to be exact...

your not supposed to lock any converter before the 3rd gear...its no bueno on the trans.....they say if you do lock it it should be where your TQ curves cross on the dyno to be exact...

The HP and TQ cross at the same rpm every time. There is a different lock up point for all depending on whether it is NA, nitrous, or boosted.

The HP and TQ cross at the same rpm every time. There is a different lock up point for all depending on whether it is NA, nitrous, or boosted.

yeah i know that 5250...i was refering to the TQ curve with the verter locked vs unlocked...

This contradicts what PI has on their website...now I'm confused