Rear End "jumping" When I Turn - Pls Help

i have an 05 VHO 2wd, 4l80 and 3.73s with about 100k miles

when i pulled in to my driveway last night, i felt a mild vibration or slipping feeling from the back.

when i backed out and cut my wheel all the way, it felt like the rear end was jumping. i know when turning, the two rear tires will move at different speeds but it feels like one isn't slipping properly or something :(

is it fuct?

It might be, but try a fluid change first to see if it helps. Old worn out gear oil can cause a gray film to build up on the clutches of you G80 locker. Remove the diff cover and hose the clutches out good with a couple cans of brake cleaner, that will take care of the problem in most cases. While the cover is off, inspect the magnet on the bottom of the case for large chunks of metal. If there aren't any large chunks(small filings are normal), you should be okay......replace the cover gasket and refill the diff with the proper GL5 rated 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. If there are large chunks, they are most likely from the spider gear in your locker, which means that it is hurt and will need to be replaced.....

I had a similar issue, here is what I found......

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47832

I upgraded to a Detroit TrueTrac which is a much more dependable unit.

Hey Dan, thanks for the quick reply and I read your thread. Damn that really sucks, I hope mine hasn't suffered the same fate.

is the drain plug magnetic or do i have to pull the cover off to check for metal? i went home for lunch today and no jumps at all! man i hope the spider didn't give up.

there are no leaks around the cover, should i take it down anyway there is no metal on the plug?

I had this once, tried to get all 4 tires going once in a parking lot while turning left pretty hard and it seemed like the rear end locked up and wouldn't unlock. I was told to try and unlock it by doing the same thing by turning right and it unlocked and has been OK since.

I had this once, tried to get all 4 tires going once in a parking lot while turning left pretty hard and it seemed like the rear end locked up and wouldn't unlock. I was told to try and unlock it by doing the same thing by turning right and it unlocked and has been OK since.

When is the last time you changed fluid ?

did you put correct fluid in it ? / posi fluid or add a friction modifier ?

or locker is not releasing and needs service :cheers:

Hey Dan, thanks for the quick reply and I read your thread. Damn that really sucks, I hope mine hasn't suffered the same fate.

is the drain plug magnetic or do i have to pull the cover off to check for metal? i went home for lunch today and no jumps at all! man i hope the spider didn't give up.

there are no leaks around the cover, should i take it down anyway there is no metal on the plug?

The drain plug is not magnetic on the 14 bolt, there is a large magnet in the bottom of the case, you must pull the cover to inspect it. The gasket is cheap, only like $4 at your local dealer. Mine was acting the same way yours did.....

i hope it was just the locker not releasing because it didn't do it for lunch. i have never changed the fluid in it so i will pull it and clean/inspect it tonight.

what type of fluid should i run?

Hey Dan, that is a badass looking cover, do you know the part #s for what you used(locker, studs, cover)

thanks bro

When is the last time you changed fluid ?

did you put correct fluid in it ? / posi fluid or add a friction modifier ?

or locker is not releasing and needs service :cheers:

I also changed the fluid after this happened to me, with the posi fluid too, its never happened since. I would start with a fluid change for sure.

My locker has stuck before, usually backing up will unlock it. Here is what you should do, the clutches will start to stick together and cause binding on turns, I worked for dealers for 20 years and have seen this on MANY Corvettes. Chevrolet actually had a bulletin out for the vettes. Change the fluid and get friction modifier (2 4oz bottles) Add the modifier first, then finish filling with 75-90 synthetic fluid. GM dealers now have a 75-90 fluid that already has the modifier in it. Take it out and do some figure 8's. Make 5 or 6 circles left, then right, then left then right. This will work the fluid and modifier into the clutches.