My Latest Project....sandrail..volume 2..lol

whyyyy cant i leave anything alone?? this is the question i ask my self every damn day !.. u guys remeber i picked up a sand rail over the winter..well i had that for a few weeks then put alil bigger motor in.. :sneaky2: 1600 to 2276 :sneaky2: well anyways i just sold that rail to a guy in canada and hes coming to pic it up this weekend..sence i doubled my money on it i deside to go with alil bigger one...altho i made a deposit on the new on before i even had mine up for sale.. but i loved the lines of the new one... sooo heres what i buildin now

jpeg_reencoded-2.jpg

except its a 4 seater.. so i can give rides :) what a nice guy..haha

(ignore my buddy being a Dbag in the pic)..lol

jpeg_reencoded-1.jpg

thats my frame..its gonna have 16" of susp travel...and i had nooo idea how much a good set of coil over was going to cost gulppp.. so il be sell everything i got layin around to fund this damn thing

then as it turns out as the guy was 40mins from being here to test drive it.. i poped my motor :violent: :violent: so im going to have to redo it.. soooo im thinkin about makin it a turbo :sneaky2: maybe even a eco tech or subie motor :snooty: lol but thats gonna be hard for me to swallow..anyways though u guys would get a kick out of it :mrgreen:

Edited by RICE EATER (see edit history)

what kind of suspension are you running?

right next to my truck right now we are working on an 01 f 150 that should be a monster, 4wd with 18/2x travel that is getting cut off behind the cab and making a full tube chassis 4 linked. plan is to build up the 5.4 and put the kb 2.2 blower we have on it. this is my girl's brothers ride. he is designing the suspension himself . im helping with the fabrication and hopefully the driving.

sand is alot of fun . you should come out west and try out glamis.

right next to my truck right now we are working on an 01 f 150 that should be a monster, 4wd with 18/2x travel that is getting cut off behind the cab and making a full tube chassis 4 linked. plan is to build up the 5.4 and put the kb 2.2 blower we have on it. this is my girl's brothers ride. he is designing the suspension himself . im helping with the fabrication and hopefully the driving.

Dude that truck is not going to ever run :jester:

im tryin to figure out what im going to run for susp right now...its got 16" of travel im not very impressed with sway a ways..so i was probly gonna run fox's.. but ive been doin alil diggin have you ever heard of F-O-A shocks...there gaining alot of rep.. so im considering running them..just cant deside.. what kinda shocks are you guys runnin?

that truck sounds like its gonna be a fun ride... once you put that kb 2.2 on it..god knows u cant make anypower with a 5.4 with out it..ive got a company truck i drive every day f150 with a 5.4.. and it is gutless..lol just makes me love my SS more and more tho..lol

couple buddys of mine that go to are lil dunes... silverlake here in michigan.. which is like 400 achers..lol have talked about settin up a trip to glamis..i keep forgetin your out there..might have to hook up and meet ya there one day and u can show us around..one of my buddies is just finishin up a prerunner ranger with 17inchs of travel..that thing is gonna be a riot.. and another buddy is doin his silverado..they got the back done.. tube out the back with glass sides and thats got 16 inchs of travel.. gonna go test it this weekend for the opening weekend at the dunes...then we gotta build a motor for it.. im tryin to talk him in to goin lq9 with a blower :) but he wants to go big cubics.. like 555 or 565.. either way should be fun !

guess i gonna get a motor figured out to keep up .. vw..eco-tech...subie.. or rotory.. not my style anyof them..lol owell

• 1 month later...

well alil up date my 4 seat long travel sand car is gettin close... cant wait to feel that 18" of suspen travel.. :lol: and can u guys belive it... im building something that does more then go in just a strait line...hahaha anyways heres some pics

i think weve got most everything figure out.. i just wanna figure out how to do a hood.. and ofcourse i wanna do a small cowl to match my 69 camaro and the sss

0507092233a.jpg

0507092233b.jpg

0507092233c.jpg

0507092233d.jpg

0507092234a.jpg

0507092234b.jpg

0507092234c.jpg

0507092234d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

well i finaly get it home.. so i cant start workin on it and try to get this thing on the ground heres a few more pics we got the hood done.. and i put the front 2 seats in just to see what it felt like.. and damn is this thing gonna be comfy...but damn i got alot to do.

0529090102a.jpg

0528092335b.jpg

0528092335a.jpg

0601091109a.jpg

0601091108a.jpg

Looking good, I assume you are going to a dry fit of everything, pull back apart and PC everything? Will be watching this thread as it progresses, I think a rail is my next purchase if I sell off most of my toys

ya im going to do it like that frist.. hopefully i dont get to much rust in the mean time.. michigan isnt the dryest place..haha

what kinda rail are you lookin at.. and what kinda motor combo??

• 4 weeks later...

ok guys i need some more input... im tryin to pick out a motor for my rail... ive still got my vw motor out of my old rail.. which is a 2275cc and makes solid power.. but with being a bigger car id like to put some more motor in it... i know everyone going to say lsx motor or lq9..etc.. this rail isnt set up for a v8.. i can do a v6 or 4 banger.. i was really wanted to do a 3800 motor or supercharged 3800.. but there kinda hard to find with out 150k miles and the are heavyy...id like to stay in the GM family if i can sence i already HP TUNERS it would be handy.. and im a gm guy anyways..

i just got an email from a guy i know.. said his work has 3 or 4 eco techs that are brand new.. never started they wherre using them for mock up..anyways i guess there the 2.4 n/a 170hp motors... complete motor.. but know ecu.. or harness.. but i could pick one up for 4 or 500... i reallly wanted to do one of the turbo eco techs.. but this might be a good deal?? any thoughs.. anyone done anything with these motors? i wonder how much more hp i could get out of one with a lil tune and makin breath. or a turbo would be nice but i think the comp ratio is alil high in that motor. not sure tho guess i need to start diggin...arnt they all alumin motors?... should be pretty light i would think

I like the Ecotec; that motor was designed specifically for import drag racing, and I know it's taken championship titles in NHRA. GM set a record with a Cobalt SS at Bonneville, they ran that car at 212mph, the motor was gone through at Katech and if memory serves it was the small Ecotec (2.0L) at over 20-psi boost, over 700hp at 9,000-rpm. :crazy:

Mr. P.

thats what ive heard.. crazyness!!..for sure.. i really like what ive seen from the eco-tech. and that what was in my mind from the begining..that or a subi motor.. but i dont know anything about thos motors.. and id like to keep it in the gm family if i can.. the problem is everything ive heard was with a 2.0 turbo.. i havent heard much of anything about the 2.4..so i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.. i think if i got in the 200 to 300hp range that would be perfect but not sure what would you can do with the 2.4s even with a good tune