Need Some Mechanical Help Guys Please!

NashSS

No this is not a problem with my ss. My mom has a 2002 Buick Regal GS with around 95k miles on it and just starting yesterday she would be driving and then all the sudden the engine would just quit. No advanced warning, ses lights, nothing! After it woud shut off all the lights would come on but the thing would start right back up and you can keep driving until it would do it again. Apparently its getting worse by the day and she has decided to park it until we can figure out what the hell is wrong with it. We did just put a fresh battery in it this past weekend but the car was giving her some minor problems before that so I don't think the battery has anything to do with it. Everything else works just fine no problems with it shifting, starting, opening windows or anything. I think it may possilby be the computer because I seen a similar problem with a dealerships buick regal gs that we actually looked at but walked away from due to this problem and I later asked the salesman what was wrong and if i remember right it was the computer that was causing the problem. So please help guys. Thanks.

Don't discount the battery yet. My car has been acting funny with the new battery. I think I need to clean off the terminals and make sure she the cables are fine because I've had problem with the car not wanting to start. I get in and everything works like normal, then I try to start it and the car goes dead. I have to pop the hood and play with the battery before she will do anything. Talking about the battery has me thinking about the alternator. It seems like when one goes, the other isn't far behind. You might want to check both.

Vaccuum pump line or something.. My GFs pos 2000 pontiac grand am was stauling for no reason but would start right back up and was like a corroded hose line or some sort apparently. Just food for thought..

i bet it is dropping the crank signal. either the sensor itself is bad or the wiring is chafed against one of accessory brackets intermittently.
:withstupid: We had an 1988 Olds with a 3800 that would do the exact same thing. Running fine then all of a sudden die. Always started right back up. I found a small crack in the crank sensor, replaced it, and never had another issue.

i bet it is dropping the crank signal. either the sensor itself is bad or the wiring is chafed against one of accessory brackets intermittently.

probably something like that, does the key have that little plastic pellet looking thing on it? Thats part of the security system- it might be messing up. A quick way to check that is to try driving it with a different key, I guess that wont help if the problems in the ignition cylinder itself though... either that or a bad ground somewhere maybe

Something to consider would be the mass air sensor. We had sold many mass air sensor's at the dealership for similar type of issue's on W bodies with the 3.8L in both supercharged and non supercharged.

Something to consider would be the mass air sensor. We had sold many mass air sensor's at the dealership for similar type of issue's on W bodies with the 3.8L in both supercharged and non supercharged.

we tried cleaning the maf sensor with the same results. I'm thinkin were gonna try the crank sensor on it and see how that does. thanks for you help guys

we tried cleaning the maf sensor with the same results. I'm thinkin were gonna try the crank sensor on it and see how that does. thanks for you help guys

Cleaning the MAF wont help, replacing it will......if I recall, Luke(thomp62301) recently had a similar issue with his '02 GTP...........