Stereo Install

I am about to tear into my truck this weekend to install a subwoofer. I was wondering first if there are any output jack on the stock amp or head unit. And second whats the best way to install a single sub. I know that want to do it under the rear seat driver side.

BTW: I want to keep the stock head unit.

The cheapest way to do it would be to use a device called a "high to low converter" which you you'd splice into the rear speakers taking the speaker wire into the device and RCA out with a reduced voltage that is safe for the amp. these are anywhere from $5 to 30 depends on if you buy it online or at a shop. For now I think that's your best bet, until you decide to upgrade the head unit :sigh: !

The cheapest way to do it would be to use a device called a "high to low converter" which you you'd splice into the rear speakers taking the speaker wire into the device and RCA out with a reduced voltage that is safe for the amp. these are anywhere from $5 to 30 depends on if you buy it online or at a shop. For now I think that's your best bet, until you decide to upgrade the head unit :sigh: !

That is how you do it. It will work just won't sound as good as if it were plugged into and aftermarket stereo.

:crackup:

you like that?

I had stock head unit in my deck for years. decided it was time to switch to an Alpine. not only did i switch, i went the Alpines "MINI" f#1 status EQ, 175 bands, time correction, crossovers, 5.1, yadda yadda, including fiber optic conections, which i am using, did it improve the sound? yes BUT only because i moved my speakers from the floor to the custom dash... was i impressed with the change of just the radio..? NO. use a good LOC or (line out convertor) and you will be happy.

you like that?

I had stock head unit in my deck for years. decided it was time to switch to an Alpine. not only did i switch, i went the Alpines "MINI" f#1 status EQ, 175 bands, time correction, crossovers, 5.1, yadda yadda, including fiber optic conections, which i am using, did it improve the sound? yes BUT only because i moved my speakers from the floor to the custom dash... was i impressed with the change of just the radio..? NO. use a good LOC or (line out convertor) and you will be happy.

So, are you saying that you don't care that much about the whole huge system you did over stock? Did it get EQ'ed properly, or why dont you notice a huge difference?

Edited by Quinnster (see edit history)

So, are you saying that you don't care that much about the whole huge system you did over stock? Did it get EQ'ed properly, or why dont you notice a huge difference?

not care? whats that mean? yes its EQ'd properly. i havent been doin this for 19 years for nothing.

what i meant was that the output of the factory head unit is actually pretty clean compared to what people think and will provide you with an adequete 20-20k signal to make a damn good sounding system. dont hesitate to use it if you want.

OK. So this is what I got. I have an Alpine type R 10", I have a Rockford fosgate amp, and using an adjustable line converter 2-60 watts. Forgot I'm using a rockford fosgate 4awg Amp Install Kit.

I know that with the converter I have to tie into one of the back speakers. But what I don't know is what do I set the converters output to. Or should I just leave it alone? This is what the amp and sub ratings are, if that helps.

AMP STATS:

150 W x 1 @ 4 Ohms RMS

300 W x 1 @ 2 Ohms RMS

Max power output: 900 Watts

Crossover HP 40-400Hz 12dB per Octave LP 40-400Hz 12dB per Octave

Bass Remote 0 to 18 dB @ 45 Hz

Signal input Low level, Quantity, 1 Type - RCA

Power Input Connector - Block

Wire gauge - 4

Speaker output Block

Cast Heat Skin

Class A/B