speed over 100

woodbine

I got my SS up to 105 MPH for the first time a few days ago and noticed the engine RPM was over 5K! I guess this has to do with the 4:10 gears, right? How do you get 120 out of an SS without blowing up the motor? :confused:

The factory tune in the PCM is holding you back. The shift tables are not set up for normal operation past the speed limiter (around 106mph). With a custom tune these things can be fixed. I am currently running my speed limiter at 140. :D:devil:

Zippy, Hood pins are a pair of bolts with a slight chamfer on the top bolted to the top of the radiator support and they penetrate the hood with a large chrome washer with a corresponding hole. The pins have a hole drilled in them at a point where the hood closes and a keeper or tiller pin holds the hood down more securely than a latch normally could. They are widely used in the racing industry, and came stock on the old 70's Chevelle SS, as well as several other muscle cars.

No! I wouldn't punch a hole in the hood of my truck either! I'd drive slower first.

Now that Hood Pin 101 is over, My new Goodmark Cowl hood is more stable than the stocker was. I think it is for two reasons. One, the hood has a 2" rise cowl in the middle of it and acts like a gusset or brace to resist flexing. Another reason would be the opening at the rear of the hood. It allows the air coming in from the from grill area and underbelly to escape at the rear of the hood thus reducing lift on the hood itself. :pop:

All 99 and up trucks with OBDII have top speed limiters per Govt. regulations. The SS's are limited to either 106 or 108. There are several ways it can be overridden, the most common being a handheld tuner or replacement PCM programming. I've seen my truck at around 130 (maybe 125) mph with the SuperChips I installed. I wouldn't have a clue how your truck can exceed the programmed speed unless someone has installed a tuner or the factory boys upped it at your local garage with a PCM re-flash or something. The GM folks can't do it without getting in big trouble though. They frown on us doing it to our trucks somewhat, but after I give them my money, it's my da*% truck, and I'll do what I want with it! :thumbs:

:thumbs: "it's my da*% truck!" That's what I told them when I went back for a recall notice and they stuck another infernal dealer sticker on my tailgate. GET IT OFF NOW! :P

Archived