Exhaust Diameter After X-pipe?

nolarob

I just got finished putting AR Header 1 7/8 headers on truck and I'm heading to exhuast shop in the a.m. and have a few questions.

My truck is 2006 Sierra Denali with LQ9 and I will be running TVS 1900 with cam. I'm adding Magnaflow X-Pipe to 3" Borla XR-1 mufflers that I already have, but I'm unsure on diameter after mufflers? What are the advatages and disadvantages with running 3" or 2.5" after mufflers?

Rob

After the mufflers, run no smaller than the pipe diameter before the mufflers. In your case keep it dual 3" all the way out after the mufflers. With a blown application (like yours) you want as free-flowing as possible. BTW, I went from a dual 2.5" to a dual 3" after the headers and picked up a nice gain.

Any pics of the AR headers? Nice choice on that one, a quality piece for sure.

Do the 3". I have a set of 1 7/8 AR Headers coming also. I am using a dual 3" in/out x pipe magnaflow muffler(12599) and then to a dual 3" in to single 4" out(15789kit). I don"t want it to be to loud. Let us know how yours comes out.

Here are some pics of setup. I went with 3" from X-pipe to two 12" Borla XR1 mufflers over axle dumped. It's too Fugin loud and raspy, I may add 2 more of the same mufflers in line with others, what do you guys think? Is the length of pipe after mufflers over axle making raspy worse? Here are some pics of setup.

Truck Pics

I also went with the ARH headers and plan to go dual 3" all the way out. The build quality is outstanding and I can't wait to install them.

Those are some pretty short mufflers. The larger the muffler the quieter it will. That Magnaflow 12599 I was talking about is listed as a 5x11x22 but it actually measures a little larger. Adding length the your system should help quiet it down also. I am going to have 40 inches of muffler under my truck. If I were you I would move that X forward, move the 2 xr1 mufflers forward and put a larger muffler where they are now. Magnaflow makes a 5x8 dual 3 in/out straight thru muffler that should work nicely. BTW nice truck