Changing Batt- Cable Question

billsmith

I need to remove the battery from my truck. What is the proper order to remove and install the batt cables? Someone told me pos off 1st and pos on 1st. I searched the post and someone posted neg off 1st and neg on last. What is correct? Does anyone have a factory manuel that has correct procedure? Are there any more tips that you can give? The last thing I want to do is blow an airbag or ruin the radio. Thanks for any help. Also thanks for a great site we can go to as a SS community to ask questions, rant, brag, or just talk. Bill.

I need to remove the battery from my truck. What is the proper order to remove and install the batt cables? Someone told me pos off 1st and pos on 1st. I searched the post and someone posted neg off 1st and neg on last. What is correct? Does anyone have a factory manuel that has correct procedure? Are there any more tips that you can give? The last thing I want to do is blow an airbag or ruin the radio. Thanks for any help. Also thanks for a great site we can go to as a SS community to ask questions, rant, brag, or just talk. Bill.

unhook negative first and install negative last. you run more risk of dropping the battery on your foot than blowing the air bag or the radio. dont be scared :cheers:

unhook negative first and install negative last. you run more risk of dropping the battery on your foot than blowing the air bag or the radio. dont be scared :cheers:

Manual says to remove Negative cable first, then positive. On battery re-installation, put positive on first and then negative.

:withstupid:

IIRC the reasoning behind negative off first, on second is for safety. If you took the positive cable off first, that means the negative is still grounded to the vehicle. If the tool you are using touches any bare metal on around the battery while touching the positive terminal, it will cause arcing aka lots of bright sparks. Now if you remove the negative cable first then the only place it can arc is on the positive terminal. The same goes in reverse for hooking the cables up. It simply reduces the chances of arcing.

Thanks to all who replied. I am more of an old school mechanic. Sometimes the newer cars do have me a little scared. You would think not, I work in the shipping dept at Detroit Speed and Engineering and am around 69 Camaros and parts all day. I have 2 57 Chevys that I have total confidence working on. But when it comes to computer controlled engines I ask for help here or other guys in the shop. If anybody here has Camaros, Novas, Chevelles or Chevy II look us up at www.detroitspeed.com Thanks again for the replys. bill

Thanks for the complement dkkustoms. The guys in the shop take a lot of pride in trying to make some really awsome parts. The owners, Kyle and Stacy, really stress great parts with great customer service. We try to buy american made support products and manifacture most of the parts in our shop in Mooresville NC. We have 4 engineers here, Kyle and Stacy worked as engineers for GM a combined 28 years so they know their suspension stuff. I made sure to drive my SS truck when I went for my interview 3 years ago.