My Boss Is Messing With My Time Card

STKING

I have been working for this company for 4 years now, I make way under what I should be getting paid. I know this because I do the same job and have the same responsibilities as guys that are getting paid 7 more dollars than I. I have been dealing with it and have been thankful that I have a job in this slow economy. But Friday when I got my check my hours were way off. I talked to a manager he checked it out and it showed edits to my time card. He then talked to the boss today and asked him about it, the boss told him that he didn't care that it was illegal and that I only worked part time. WTF!? I bust my ass for this guy everyday breaking my back and he is going to nickle and dime me! Honestly how much is 100 bucks going to help him? There has been more than one event like this. So I could sue him but how much money would I really get, it seems like a waist of time to me. Also My dilemma is that if I quit it will take me a while to find a new job, and paying who knows what. I'm young but I don't have a degree. This is a dead end Job but still Its good for now to have a steady pay check. I'm waiting to get on in the union but that could be awhile. I do have money saved up and could afford things for a year or so but I would rather not cut into my savings. Man I'm all over the place. Anyone with words of wisdom?

Start looking around for something new while holding on to this job. Bad bosses suck, but there's little you can do about it. Hang in there, but start combing the want ads, Internet, etc.

Make a copy of your time cards than compare them to your check. If there's a difference confront the boss directly. Also, don't quit until you find something else! Best advice, get a free consult from an attorney. See what you can do to protect yourself. An employer cannot deny pay for hours worked and documented... Try this link ST, "how to file a wage claim" specificaly for Unauthorized deductions from paychecks

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm

up to you if submiting would help or worsen situation, sounds like to me this guy is weak and picking on younger employees thinking he can save $, so maybe telling him face to face you're gonna turn him in might show him you're not to be messed with, just don't get fired! Hope this helps

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

Thanks for the help and good advice guys. I have been looking for a job just a hard time right now to find one. Maybe this will motivate me more. Id really like to give this guy a piece of my mind but guess ill have to endure it in the mean time. But ill check out everything you guys said. Thanks again for the help!

Agree with Hank, get out - they don't want you there. If your employer really wanted you there, they would pay you what you're worth. Or are you telling us you're worth so much less? :noway: If the wage discrepancies are a few thousand bucks I'd sue for back wages, but since it's (likely) only a few hundred bucks I would spend my time pursuing a job rather than pursuing litigation. Do what Bad aSS Silvy says and make copies of your timecards and any other documentation to prove your hours while you are shopping for a new job.

This is going to be a personal jab, but it's from the heart so bear with me on this: the only reason these folks pull this crap is because they have judged you will just roll over and let it happen; I'm not calling you a wuss, but they have certainly come to that conclusion (right or wrong) and perception is reality in this case. THEY ARE STEALING FROM YOU; you can damned sure believe if they thought you were stealing from them they'd have a sitdown with you.

I am more of a hot-head than you are (I am assuming) I have been in a similar situation and marched right into the owner's office, shut the door while he was on the phone, and loudly told him "We're going to have a meeting" and flatly showed him the paycheck and told him I did not appreciate him going back on his employment contract and stealing food off my kids' table; he was very quick to reassure me that 'there was a misunderstanding...'

I'm not advising you to become a total ****, but you DO need to identify and correct any other behaviors you may display during the day at work which might be mistakenly taken for signals that you are not worth respecting.

Hmmm guess I went off a little-bit there...

Mr. P.

I'm not advising you to become a total ****, but you DO need to identify and correct any other behaviors you may display during the day at work which might be mistakenly taken for signals that you are not worth respecting.

Hmmm guess I went off a little-bit there...

Mr. P.

I want to know what the "****" stands for! LOL... :jester:

Couple of question's.

First why do you think he is doing this to you?

How many hours a week do your work?

Are you going over your scheduled shift by a couple minutes a day?

I've seen this happen to so called part timers before. Anything over 8hrs a day is o.t.

Also if your hitting 40hrs a week and if that company offers benefits to it's full time employees then you too would also qualify part time or not. Unless the job is considered seasonal such as the one I had 8 years loading trucks as a teamster. Even though I sometimes worked 70hrs a week I received no benefits or o.t because the job was considered seasonal. Only 6 months out of the years.

What he is doing to you is a slap in the face. I think you should get a copy of you time cards and then confront him. Let him know you will be filing a grievance through the employer against him and also a wage claim with the states Labor Commissioner just like bad ass silvy said! After all that if he fires you or lay's you off and you think its in retaliation then file a complaint with the E.E.O.C for retaliation. They don't mess around.

Wage Claim Unauthorized Deductions

Equal Employment Opportunity Comission

BTW if he doesnt want to pay you when you go over your shift by a couple of minutes then drop what your doing no matter what when you shift is supposed to be over. 5 mins till or whatever.

Edited by nxtnlne (see edit history)

Log and make copies of everything, then before you quit, or get a new job contact the labor board, they wont be happy at all about that and will help you out!!

That's what I'm doing currently with the company I work for, I usually fight the money out of my bosses but the times I haven't I have logged. My Co workers have been working for this guy for 6 years now and always get screwed over like this, but to get even they just use the company credit card to buy personal items, :nono: which I think in the long run may get them into a lot of s**t!!

Good Luck!! :thumbs: