Brand New Belltech Shocks Junk?

Hey guys,

Since i'm doing my trans install i decided to take car of a bunch of things at once, like new shocks. I got the fronts on already and i really didn't check them but i think both back shocks are junk. I can push both shocks down about 2 inches before i feel any pressure then i can feel and hear what sounds like oil going through the shock. Only one of my stock shocks does this and i assumed that means it was bad, but am i wrong? I mean there should be constant pressure on the shock for it's whole travel right? I should not be able to compress the shock 2 inches before i feel pressure right? The weird thing is i got these from different places, one came from summit and one from jegs and i think both are bad.....

Perform the bounce test on your truck...press down on each corner of your truck, if it bounces more then twice, then the shock is bad. Also, check all of the shocks to see if any have puked oil, if so, then they are bad.

Bilstein FTW! :thumbs:

i did with the stock shocks and allthough it wasn't real bad i thought they should be replaced, so i can start with fresh shocks and figure out how to get traction for launching. I did take a look at all the stock shocks, still have them as well, and it doesn't look like they leaked any oil. There is also no oil at all on any of the belltech shocks but this can't be right.

A couple more bits of info that might or might not mean something: When i turn the shocks upside down i can hear oil running from one side to the other. When the shock is upside down, it fuctions great. There is pressure right away when it is upside down, but as soon as you flip it to the way it gets mounted........it moves about 2 inches before you feel oil move, or pressure.

i called the tech line twice and both guys told me to send them back as defective, what a pain in the a$$. Now i have to send one to summit and one to jegs. And as long as bilstein has stock ride height shocks, thats what i'll get. How can a company send out shocks that are bad. I mean my company quality checks everything.....

if your going stock length shock, i would recommend Edelbrock IAS shocks

amen to that! IAS shocks are hands down the best shock I have ever used.

As far as Belltech's, they are supposed to be squishy like that. I thought mine were bad as well, but that's just the way they are.

(for those wondering I had to run belltechs because of the 6" drop in back on my truck. Used to have IAS shocks and I miss them DEARLY!)

i had to put the stock rears on for now, i just wanted to get the truck back on the road. I just put the new trans in today and i blew it like 4 months ago, so i just had to get her back. I also put air bags on the back to stop weight transfer and i have them set at 20 pounds right, out of a 100 psi max. And wow they suck for just driving, it bounces like mad. but i'll return the beltechs and get the ias or bilsteins.

But on another note, either i lost power or the air bags do help for traction. I can't spin all 4 anymore.

I went ahead and ordered these even after reading your posting.

I checked them right as I received them and yes. you can hear the oil swoosh and they do give some at first compression.

I'll give them a try only because many seem to be happy with them on their lowered vehicals.

BUT! I did have to return one because when I opend the box it was fully compressed and there was some oil soaked into the cardboard. The rest were expanded and did expand back after I compressed them.

They are nothing like the KYB's that I was used to on my old 4x4 so I imagine the ride should be comfortable.

I'll let you know what I think of them once I get the hangers installed. :cheers: