Something Interesting To Read

I wouldn't mind seeing the requirment, but not at the sake of vehicle power and reliability. There is tons of room for improvement in the internal combustion engine, and I think it would be great to see a 1/2ton pickup be able to tow a trailer all day long and stilll manage to hit 30mpg on the highway. If you think about it, it really not that astronomical of a request. I don't know, I guess we will have to see.

Rob

We have come a looooong way in the past 15-20 years. Back in the 80s if you would have told me that there would be 400HP cars getting fuel economy in the 20s with a smooth idle, great drivabilty, and A/C, I would have said you're nuts. EFI has made leaps and bounds in performance and economy. I don't know how much further we can go. I'know direct injection is suppose to be the next big thing from everthing I've read, but can it improve economy that much?

... I'know direct injection is suppose to be the next big thing from everthing I've read, but can it improve economy that much?

IMO yes, DGI is a game changer. Will DGI alone make a truck's fuel mileage half-again better? No. But, the beauty of DGI is that it is a performance technology rather than a EPA technoloty, you want DGI because the motor makes a ton more torque all over the RPM band - and if GM combines this with AFM then the truck can actually perform well in 4-cylinder mode for a change (because a DGI V8 makes much more torque in 4-cyl mode) and then you begin seeing better running economy. When they take the 6.2L Denali motor (which already features VVT and AFM) and add DGI I am betting the freeway fuel economy will take a big jump upwards, for consumers it will be like going from the LT1 cars to the LS1 cars in terms of power/economy gains. Performance-wise the DGI motors are going to be far more powerful than than anything before them, the 400-hp LS3 motor will make 450+ if fit with DGI without even trying. The only thing that I wonder about is the rev limit of the DGI injectors, will they rev to 7500-RPM?

AFA Obama's announcement, DGI was already coming and every knew it for years; the current administration now that they've seen the Camaro V6 DGI motor has decided to make it law, these will be the kinds of powerplants being made from now on. Today is the death of the EFI motor, just like when Congress legislated out the carburator.

Mr. P.

So is this part of the Stimulus Package?? Put tighter restrictions on a industry that is suffering big time already. Then the cost of their product is forced to increase at a time when sales are at an all time low. If the auto industry does pull through this and people do buy these fuel efficient cars and it does lower the United States use of oil, the government will reward us with an increase of the gas tax.

Can't wait!

So is this part of the Stimulus Package?? Put tighter restrictions on a industry that is suffering big time already. Then the cost of their product is forced to increase at a time when sales are at an all time low. If the auto industry does pull through this and people do buy these fuel efficient cars and it does lower the United States use of oil, the government will reward us with an increase of the gas tax.

Can't wait!

My sentiments exactly.

History does reapeat itself on occasion. I think this will be much the same transition cars went through in the 60's on into the 70's due to the previous oil crisis.

The difference of course being cars of the sixties (cool-muscle car era), cars of the 70's (suck a$$ $hit)

I'm all for more economical cars and what not, but this will be at the cost of the automakers and taxpayers at a critical time.

I bet we will see the quality and dependability of our country's cars suffer (just like the 70's) with automakers at the present state coupled with changing technologies.

I hope GM and all the other domestic manufacturers will see it through to better ecomonical times. :flag:

IMO yes, DGI is a game changer. Will DGI alone make a truck's fuel mileage half-again better? No. But, the beauty of DGI is that it is a performance technology rather than a EPA technoloty, you want DGI because the motor makes a ton more torque all over the RPM band - and if GM combines this with AFM then the truck can actually perform well in 4-cylinder mode for a change (because a DGI V8 makes much more torque in 4-cyl mode) and then you begin seeing better running economy. When they take the 6.2L Denali motor (which already features VVT and AFM) and add DGI I am betting the freeway fuel economy will take a big jump upwards, for consumers it will be like going from the LT1 cars to the LS1 cars in terms of power/economy gains. Performance-wise the DGI motors are going to be far more powerful than than anything before them, the 400-hp LS3 motor will make 450+ if fit with DGI without even trying. The only thing that I wonder about is the rev limit of the DGI injectors, will they rev to 7500-RPM?

AFA Obama's announcement, DGI was already coming and every knew it for years; the current administration now that they've seen the Camaro V6 DGI motor has decided to make it law, these will be the kinds of powerplants being made from now on. Today is the death of the EFI motor, just like when Congress legislated out the carburator.

Mr. P.

I'm curious as to the tunability of DGI.