Awd People, Come In Here!

How much play does everyone have in their front end? For example, if the truck is up in the air and you grab one of the front wheels and try to turn it in either direction, how much play is there before it catches and turns the other wheel with it?

i would say maybe like 2 inches of movement. I was worried as well, but i'm not fixing it untill it breaks. And my transfer case is getting real bad, the transfer case input shafts seems to move a lot and the oil always comes out looking like metalic paint...but i'm not fixing it untill it blows...

i would say maybe like 2 inches of movement. I was worried as well, but i'm not fixing it untill it breaks. And my transfer case is getting real bad, the transfer case input shafts seems to move a lot and the oil always comes out looking like metalic paint...but i'm not fixing it untill it blows...

Good idea...that way it takes out something else when it goes.

Good idea...that way it takes out something else when it goes.

yes because the front diff shares it's oil with so many other things and the transfer case also shares it's oil with so many other parts.....maybe i should be worried about crap getting into my trans and converter if the front diff blows or if the transfer case blows..huh. Or maybe the front diff will just seize tight if the ring gear breaks and then the transfer case will stop the trans will stop and the converter will lock up and it will rip the bolts right out of the flywheel......boy i bet that could happen

Edited by shadowsniper3006 (see edit history)

I wouldn't say that mine is two inches either. More like an inch or so. When I turn the wheel when it's up in the air, I hear the same clunk that I think I am hearing when I am driving lately. Not sure if it is something wrong or just drive line clunk due to messed up angles with my new wheels.

I wouldn't say that mine is two inches either. More like an inch or so. When I turn the wheel when it's up in the air, I hear the same clunk that I think I am hearing when I am driving lately. Not sure if it is something wrong or just drive line clunk due to messed up angles with my new wheels.

I don't have the clunk, i have been able to avoid that. Did you put smaller wheels on now, if i'm understanding right a taller or shorter wheel would not affect suspension angles, just ride height. Only lowering the truck or adding ride height with springs and such should change the suspension angles.

Brad

I don't have the clunk, i have been able to avoid that. Did you put smaller wheels on now, if i'm understanding right a taller or shorter wheel would not affect suspension angles, just ride height. Only lowering the truck or adding ride height with springs and such should change the suspension angles.

Brad

I put shorter wheels on (about 1 to 1.5 inches shorter than what I had before) and ever since, I have been having a clunk issue in the drive train and now squealing. I just finished puting new hubs and bearings in the front and that seems to have fixed something but I'm not sure untill I am able to drive it around some more. I made some quick lads around my complex and have no cluck or squeal so we will see what happens.