Tranny/AWD leak !!

I noticed some red spots underneath where I park the truck. I thought for sure it did not come from the truck (our newest vehicle). So after searching below the other cars and coming up with nothing I looked under the SS. There was a red fluid (from tranny or awd case??) all along the rail going from left to right under the truck. Above that rail is what appears to be the drive shaft from the transmission/awd case that drives the rear wheels which appeared to be dripping very slowly over the course of time from where the shaft exits onto this rail. This has to be recent because I have not noticed anything on the ground until now, although it could have been leaking so slowly that it wasn't dripping off before. I am pissed!!!!! :fume::fume::fume: I made an appointment at a good dealer in my area for monday morning and they are going to take a look at it. If it is anything major I will be sooo pissed :fume::fume::fume: My hope and my guess is that this is just a leaky seal??? Any ideas on what might be wrong? Also, I am wondering if I should put back my stock pcm for this dealer visit? What do you think?

-Nick

Well it's official, I am pissed :fume: After visiting the dealer early in the morning the dealer traced the leak to the seal, after replacement it was still leaking. It was leaking in the "wrong direction" up towards the cab which they found odd. Upon closer inspection they discovered the whole case is cracked and needs to be replaced. I always exspect things to go wrong on any vehicle here and there, but 18,000 mi and already a fluid leak?? I wonder if anyone else has exspericed the whole thing cracking on them?? The dealer says that it is very odd/uncommon. They put me into a 04 5.3L Silverado until it is ready (hopefully by tommorrow night). I'll keep you all posted, but I think I am back to getting an extended warranty on this or looking for a new vehicle prior to the warranty exspiring. If things like this are happening this soon, I don't think I will risk this truck being out of warranty.

-Nick

It was a freak thing, I wouldn't worry about it. If they ordered you a brand new tranny, you'll be good to go for many years. I've been in your shoes wiht only 600 miles on the clock - a new transmissions and time heals all wounds. Besides, there is only one place you can get the Cadillac of pickups! :chevy:

Well it's official, I am pissed :fume: After visiting the dealer early in the morning the dealer traced the leak to the seal, after replacement it was still leaking. It was leaking in the "wrong direction" up towards the cab which they found odd. Upon closer inspection they discovered the whole case is cracked and needs to be replaced.

Ouch, was the crack in the tranny case or transfer case?

I guess I would be upset too, but things happen and stuff breaks. Just be happy that it is under warranty and all it is going to cost you is a little inconvience. At least it did not leave you stranded somewhere. Good luck and hope you get it back soon.

Luckily the crack was in transfer case only (no internal parts were damaged) on the rear half, which was replaced under warrenty within less than 24 hours. Pretty good considering I was in a loaded 04 z71 silverado the whole time, no charge. My total wait time inside the dealer had to be less than 30min initially. This is why I like going to these guys because they have really good service and are knowlegeable ( and see a lot of SS's ). They said this was very unsual and were as surprised as I was. I really do believe that it was a freak thing. The truck seems to run a bit better as well. I wonder how long this was cracked and not leaking enough to be noticed because now it looks clean like new under there. Oh well glad its back so soon, and I did miss it :chevy: Guess I just get upset whenever it seems to be something major on such a new truck, luckily this time it wasn't as bad as I thought. Unfortunatly not everything is perfect right off the line so hopefully this will be the last of the ironing out of the problems in this truck!

-Nick

From what they said I guess was literally just the outside cover?? Here is a quote from the invoice "...traced to pourous case half. Replaced the rear transfer case half." Either way the invoice I was given said N/C all the way down to the bottom. My guess is that it was more labor intensive, but we all know those parts were not cheap either. If I had to guess I would say it probably was a $500+ repair when all was said and done.

-Nick

Archived