370 Info. Needed

As you recall I lost oil pressure last friday when the pump went out..It was fixed and is running fine although I'm not convinced...Twice now I have heard a ticking show up only to leave as quick as it shows up..so I dunno if my truck will be fine or if tomorrow it will go boom. So I figured I might get an early start on collecting parts for just in case.

I have talked to Danny a couple of times about this on the phone but I would like to see it in a list on what all is needed to make my 364 to a 370 and the opinions of everyone about what parts are recommended/needed and what manufacturers are best.

Thanks

Buy Chase's old motor (370). I am sure he will give you a hell of a deal.

Other than that, TSP has a NEW 370 short block for $2999. Slap your heads on there and be done with it.

If you want to do it on the dirt-cheap -

Bottom-end = forged pistons with tool steel pins, new rings, ARP/Katech rod bolts, bore & hone job. IF the bearings did not run dry from the oil pump issue you can reuse them; else if they don't measure correct then you will need new rod, main, cam bearings but contrary to what most believe you can reuse existing bearings on the existing crank indefinitely, you don't have to throw the bearings away just because you took the bottom-end apart, keep everything labeled and protected and it'll go together great and you can save yourself $200 in bearings. Now that I rethink things, you can probably reuse all gaskets except head gaskets too.

Rings - get a premium set that will take the nitrous + boost.

Valvetrain = GMPP lifters for sure; if you want to rev higher than you are now, add heavy-ass pushrods and rocker arms converted to full roller by Harland Sharp. But you know me I like to twist em harder, that may work against the Radix in your case.

Adding in fluids and doing my own labor I would budget 2-grand; a careful guy could probably come in a lot less than that.

What I would worry about first is finding a qualified machinist, then ask him what he can get you the parts for - most machinists will give you deep parts discounts so they can do the bore/hone/cleanup machining.

With a good set of pistons & rings you can really put the nitrous to it, assuming you don't get detonation that truck should really haul major arse then!

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)