6.0 Help

:withstupid:

That's the acid test - bring a piston to TDC and shine a light through the spark plug hole, or feel the piston top with a coat hanger, the lip of the dished piston is pretty obvious.

You should have seen "6.0L" on the back of the block.

If you find a steel 1/2" spacer between the crank and the flexplate then it's a motor that had a 4L80 behind it, and since all LQ9's were used with 4L60s then it'll definitely be a LQ4. (unless the prior owner did a 4L60 -> 4L80 conversion). Also, the 4L80E flexplate is completly flat, the 4L60 flexplate is dished in the center. If the motor has a 4L60 flexplate then it could be either a LQ4 or LQ9, both were used with a 4L60.

If you find the brake boost line plugged, then the engine was in a vehicle with hydraulic brake assist instead of vacuum brakes, and it was very rare to have a LQ9 in a truck with hydraulic brake assist... so if the vacuum brake port on the manifold is plugged it *very probably* is an LQ4.

If you received the plastic engine sight covers with the motor - LQ9's have 3-piece covers, LQ4s have one-piece covers. If you did not get the original sight covers, look at the oil filler tube, the LQ9 one is an inch shorter than the LQ4 one (to fit flush to the 3-piece covers); the oil fill tube on the LQ4's is like 3-4 inches tall.

The original VIN is laser-etched on the engine head, the original VIN Derivitive is laser-etched on the driver-side rear of the cylinder block; either of these numbers can be looked-up at a GM dealer and you will know exactly what it was originally made as and the vehicle it came out of. LQ9s were standard equip on Escalades, Silverado SS, Vortec High Output, Vortec Max trucks, and some Denalis; in all cases the 8th digit in the VIN will be an 'N' for LQ9, or 'U' for LQ4 (if you have the full VIN).

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Mr. P I can't argue with your logic, but the one exception would be the the engine covers, as the LQ4's when installed in the C3's & Denali's allway's came with the three piece covers.

Ahhh thanks, did not know that :thumbs:

Mr. P.

okay thANKS FOR THE HELP MR P so if i right downthe numbers on the head and take them to a dealer they could leyt me know what it came out from right or how can i find out wwith the numbers that r printed on the head