Home Depot'd My Cai And Dropped My Iat 20 Degrees!

SUX2BU

you just restated what i said and if you have been working on these motors for 10 years then you would have some pride in your work. Im a do it your self guy as well i have never had a shop do one thing on my truck. Its been me or me and danny. I was nice in my response next time ill just say that looks like cobbled shit and no one on this site would even think of doing that to their nice SS.

I have been working on the gen 3/4 engines for about 10 years also, I would never cobble a bunch of BS together....I would be embrassed to show that to people. looks like a bunch of toothless hill billys in the trailor park using pieces of a old water heater......Christ man take some pride in your work..

:rant:

Jeez who peed in your cheerios? :P

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn coincidence, I just home depot'ed my ram air two days ago, and just saw this thread. Mine came out pretty damn good for under 20 bucks, and could tell a difference. I have a volant intake but didnt have the ram air tube, and those cost way too damn much for what it is. Here's what I did:

Home depot plumbing section, couldnt believe I found that "stack boot"- was perfect

photo2.jpg

Now this isnt the flimsy crappy dryer hose, its semi-rigid hose so it forms to the way ya want it and STAYS that way

photo.jpg

Add two 4 1/2" hose clamps and ya got all you need :D

DSCN0253.jpg

Took my right SS bottom vent out and popped off the clips that hold the mesh grille in, well...broke off the clips but was replacing them with nuts and bolts anyways

DSCN0257.jpg

trimmed the folding flaps off the "stack boot" with some snips

DSCN0260.jpg

Marked and drilled 4 holes in the stack boot and mounted to the vent using the original 4 holes for the grille

DSCN0261.jpg

DSCN0262.jpg

DSCN0263.jpg

Using a hose clamp, routed and mounted the flexible piping to the bottom of the airbox

DSCN0264.jpg

aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd end result

DSCN0265.jpg

DSCN0266.jpg

DSCN0267.jpg

The routing of the piping which I didnt take pics of is damn near a straight shot down and a 90 degree bend to the vent, cant really use a rigid hose because it has to "S" a little bit over the fender well. The ONLY small problem I had was having to cut slits in the one end of the 4" hose and crimp it down with the hose clamp to adapt to the roughly 3 1/4" inlet into the box. I'm gonna pull it back out, paint the vent and hose black and put the grill back in so it looks better. Works great too, I can definately tell a difference, havent been able to read IAT's or anything tho.

damn coincidence, I just home depot'ed my ram air two days ago, and just saw this thread. Mine came out pretty damn good for under 20 bucks, and could tell a difference. I have a volant intake but didnt have the ram air tube, and those cost way too damn much for what it is. Here's what I did:

Home depot plumbing section, couldnt believe I found that "stack boot"- was perfect

photo2.jpg

Now this isnt the flimsy crappy dryer hose, its semi-rigid hose so it forms to the way ya want it and STAYS that way

photo.jpg

Add two 4 1/2" hose clamps and ya got all you need :D

DSCN0253.jpg

Took my right SS bottom vent out and popped off the clips that hold the mesh grille in, well...broke off the clips but was replacing them with nuts and bolts anyways

DSCN0257.jpg

trimmed the folding flaps off the "stack boot" with some snips

DSCN0260.jpg

Marked and drilled 4 holes in the stack boot and mounted to the vent using the original 4 holes for the grille

DSCN0261.jpg

DSCN0262.jpg

DSCN0263.jpg

Using a hose clamp, routed and mounted the flexible piping to the bottom of the airbox

DSCN0264.jpg

aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd end result

DSCN0265.jpg

DSCN0266.jpg

DSCN0267.jpg

The routing of the piping which I didnt take pics of is damn near a straight shot down and a 90 degree bend to the vent, cant really use a rigid hose because it has to "S" a little bit over the fender well. The ONLY small problem I had was having to cut slits in the one end of the 4" hose and crimp it down with the hose clamp to adapt to the roughly 3 1/4" inlet into the box. I'm gonna pull it back out, paint the vent and hose black and put the grill back in so it looks better. Works great too, I can definately tell a difference, havent been able to read IAT's or anything tho.

Did something VERY similar years ago on my SS. Hell that type of set up is even called the "SUX2BU ram air" set up over on LS1Tech. Lots of people laughed but i laughed last when i swapped my fast toys ram air for this ram air. I added about 120 lbs in rollbar, re installed the A/C ands still dropped a tenth and gained 1 mph.

Did something VERY similar years ago on my SS. Hell that type of set up is even called the "SUX2BU ram air" set up over on LS1Tech. Lots of people laughed but i laughed last when i swapped my fast toys ram air for this ram air. I added about 120 lbs in rollbar, re installed the A/C ands still dropped a tenth and gained 1 mph.

I was just pokin around at home depot, saw the vent then the idea grew from there, on top of that I was really bored that day :jester: . Ghetto lookin or not, most important thing is my WALLET is laughin!

How much are the air compressors at Home Depot? -The reason I'm asking is because I want to covert one into a supercharger for my SS.

I figure $350 beats $5,000 for a Radix. After that I think I will try the carbord intake and the vent duct snorkel mod. Thanks for the ideas! :thumbs:

P.S. I quit.

Just noticed you're in Wylie. I'm in Sachse. You going to the RCK meet?

nope I stay away from jared and his BS....had one too many problems with that guy back in my f-body days.....

I knew I have seen that S/N before....I think I might have met you before...not sure where. Do you know anyone from LG?

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

we are getting along...its called expressing your opinion.

opinions are all fine and good, and sharing them with others is ok too. But being hateful and bashing other people for sharing ideas because they are substandard compared to your "capabilities" is ridiculous. I believe that you are one of the more multi-talented people on the site, but sometimes i think you would rather put someone down then help them out, or at bare minimum, say something nice. I have seen how seriously and personally you take it when someone kids you about your work, and for that reason you would think that you wouldn't do it to someone else.....

How much are the air compressors at Home Depot? -The reason I'm asking is because I want to covert one into a supercharger for my SS.

I figure $350 beats $5,000 for a Radix. After that I think I will try the carbord intake and the vent duct snorkel mod. Thanks for the ideas! :thumbs:

P.S. I quit.

Ya...well not everyone is made of money

opinions are all fine and good, and sharing them with others is ok too. But being hateful and bashing other people for sharing ideas because they are substandard compared to your "capabilities" is ridiculous. I believe that you are one of the more multi-talented people on the site, but sometimes i think you would rather put someone down then help them out, or at bare minimum, say something nice. I have seen how seriously and personally you take it when someone kids you about your work, and for that reason you would think that you wouldn't do it to someone else.....

Sorry man sometimes I have nothing nice to say. If you don't like it, don't read it, and don't respond.... And the person that poked at me was not a joke it was a stab at me. you don't know the history I have with that person.

On a side note... Sux2BeU we should meet up sometime since we are so close to each other...

:cheers:

Sorry man sometimes I have nothing nice to say. If you don't like it, don't read it, and don't respond.... And the person that poked at me was not a joke it was a stab at me. you don't know the history I have with that person.

On a side note... Sux2BeU we should meet up sometime since we are so close to each other...

:cheers:

i agree, and thats why i felt compelled to say something, you could have easily read this post and said nothing at all, but you did. i was just trying to show you the error in your ways, in the hopes that you might change in the future. i apologize for ruffling your feathers, and wasting my breath. apparently only some people here are subject to criticism from others.

p.s if you feel the need to continue this further, please feel free to pm me, otherwise i am over it

Edited by kcsilveradoss (see edit history)

i agree, and thats why i felt compelled to say something, you could have easily read this post and said nothing at all, but you did. i was just trying to show you the error in your ways, in the hopes that you might change in the future. i apologize for ruffling your feathers, and wasting my breath. apparently only some people here are subject to criticism from others.

p.s if you feel the need to continue this further, please feel free to pm me, otherwise i am over it

:thumbs:

nope I stay away from jared and his BS....had one too many problems with that guy back in my f-body days.....

I knew I have seen that S/N before....I think I might have met you before...not sure where. Do you know anyone from LG?

Yeah the whole RKC crowd is pretty retarded. I have a few friends that go to that meet so i went to hang out for a bit, since i start classes again next week.

Not really i try to stay away from LG. Met Lou a few times, he seemed ok, reminded me of my friend John Ipolido. Speaking of LG, just today they charged my friend $95 or so to look at his car to try to figure out why it was misfiring. They couldn't figure it out and said they needed more time with it. I fixed it in 10 min. LOL.

Yeah the whole RKC crowd is pretty retarded. I have a few friends that go to that meet so i went to hang out for a bit, since i start classes again next week.

Not really i try to stay away from LG. Met Lou a few times, he seemed ok, reminded me of my friend John Ipolido. Speaking of LG, just today they charged my friend $95 or so to look at his car to try to figure out why it was misfiring. They couldn't figure it out and said they needed more time with it. I fixed it in 10 min. LOL.

LMAO yeah sounds like LG alright. HMMMMM maybe from my f-body days. I used to meet up at starbucks on sunday with a few guys. I would have been driving a silver TBSS or a pewter s-10. Do you happen to know alan with the loud white single cab...cammed and a bottle?

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)