Hardwood Floors

cwest94

I have a question regarding hardwood floors in a house. Thought maybe I could ask around here for some info. I've been looking at houses for several months now and I think I finally found what I want. The house is a foreclosure thats been empty for a little over a year now and all utilities have been turned off for that same amount of time. The house does need work and I'm not to worried about it since it's things I can do but there is one big item I'm worried about, and thats the hardwood floors.

The house has all of the original hardwoods through out the house and all of the hardwoods on the first floor are bowing at each side of each wooden plank and all the hardwoods on the second floor have spaces between each plank. I am scared that the bowing of the first floor hardwoods is due to moisture. When I looked at the house yesterday the basement and garage was bone dry and I did not smell any mildew or anything and we have had a ton of rain these last two weeks, but when I looked at the house a few weeks ago, there was a lot of water coming in from under the garage door and running into the basement.

Could the bowing of the hardwoods just be from the house being closed up for 15 months with no heat or a/c and the house not being able to breath or could there be a lot more hiding? Any thoughts you may have would be of great help.

Here is a pic of it.

post-4308-1244164727_thumb.jpg

post-4308-1244164735_thumb.jpg

Well, thing about hardwood floors is that they need to be acclimated (adapt at a temperature, environment or climate) before installation. So if the temp. and conditions the wood was used to when first installed changed that might be the culprit, i.e. warping, bowing and delamination. If I think it is as bad as you say, then replacement may be the only solution. Consult with a company in your area that specializes in refinishing, I only install the stuff, refinishing is a whole other profession. Good luck and let me know what happens.

I have a question regarding hardwood floors in a house. Thought maybe I could ask around here for some info. I've been looking at houses for several months now and I think I finally found what I want. The house is a foreclosure thats been empty for a little over a year now and all utilities have been turned off for that same amount of time. The house does need work and I'm not to worried about it since it's things I can do but there is one big item I'm worried about, and thats the hardwood floors.

The house has all of the original hardwoods through out the house and all of the hardwoods on the first floor are bowing at each side of each wooden plank and all the hardwoods on the second floor have spaces between each plank. I am scared that the bowing of the first floor hardwoods is due to moisture. When I looked at the house yesterday the basement and garage was bone dry and I did not smell any mildew or anything and we have had a ton of rain these last two weeks, but when I looked at the house a few weeks ago, there was a lot of water coming in from under the garage door and running into the basement.

Could the bowing of the hardwoods just be from the house being closed up for 15 months with no heat or a/c and the house not being able to breath or could there be a lot more hiding? Any thoughts you may have would be of great help.

Here is a pic of it.

Here is a pic of it.

Have you had the inspection done on the house? Maybe you are not at that point yet but an inspection will let you know pretty much whats going on with the floor. I don't know much about hard wood flooring but I would think there are several factors that come into play. Especially the foundation of the house as well as why there would be moisture trapped under the floor. Good luck with the house if it checks out, I just bought a foreclosure as well and let me tell you, the more you work on the stuff that is obvious the more you come across other stuff you want done. Stick to a gameplan and go from there. I keep bouncing around from upstairs to downstairs and wish I would of just focused on one level at a time.