Attention Audiophiles! ;)

Just wondering where my bass and balance fader treble settings should be set to for the most accurate sound production through my factory bose system...THANKS in advance

hate to sound like a broken record... its your ears, make it how is sounds best to YOU. screw what the others think, thats what makes us all individuals! :cheers:

hate to sound like a broken record... its your ears, make it how is sounds best to YOU. screw what the others think, thats what makes us all individuals! :cheers:

I was actually hoping that you would respond, based on all of your experience...

I was looking for accuracy...I generally turn bass and treble almost all the way up...

Thanks again!

Bob

I was actually hoping that you would respond, based on all of your experience...

I was looking for accuracy...I generally turn bass and treble almost all the way up...

Thanks again!

Bob

in the bose systems bose equalizes the sound terribly. they play it the way they think their speakers should sound. also Bose turns the bass down as the volume increases to protect their cheesy speakers.

I personally dont like alot of bass or treble. sit and listen to your truck as if you were at a concert. take a good recording, fleetwood mac, madonna, garth brooks. close your eyes and listen. imagine the singer center stage, is their voice proportionate to the instraments? is the treble overwhelming? does the bass drown out the vocals? thats how i adjust my stuff. there are times when my CAR gives me goose bumps. it sounds so realistic. now my truck is just down right FUN to crank on!

have fun with it! thats whats great about music!! its so relaxing!

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is wondering...

Bose f'n blows; the only thing they're good at is marketing. I've been into audio in some form or another (home/mobile) for around 18 years. Some of you guys are handy with engines; I'm handy with audio stuff. Without tossing names and money around, I've heard and spent time with some of the world's most acclaimed equipment (cost does NOT always translate to quality). Having said that...

...mobile audio is an entirely different monster than home audio. IMO, it's all about the fun. You tend to like it loud (fun!) and clear over imaging, timbre, speed, and resolution. In the car/truck, you must compensate for road noise by increasing bass levels. With a Bose system, the treble is extremely weak. This should likely be boosted, but there's a limit to the amount of boost. Boosting the equalization too much can create unnecessary distortion and phasing problems. Ideally, you don't want equalization at all, nor do you want a music signal to pass through an equalizer's circuitry. Luckily, this amount of detail can't be heard in your truck on a stock/Bose system. Equalization is a last resort; that's what a proper set of speakers is for. Shamefully, I have to turn my Bose EQ up to about 3/4 bass & treble. As for fader settings, I don't want to hear the crappy speakers in the back and I want to hear the audio in front of me. I turn my fader setting to the front until I can just barely hear the ones in the back. It not only improves the sound since the speakers in the front are superior, it also makes communication with passengers in the back seat easier. I never adjust the balance. If, for example, you want to hear the speakers on the passenger side better, then physically move them by placing both the left and right speakers in the kick panels (custom mod required). I don't really think this will be an issue though. Just kick your passengers out so they don't block your sound. :D

Since I've got some time to kill, some tips:

1. Speakers first. Replace the stock speakers. Buy a good set, one that sounds good to you, but there's no need to buy the best unless you're willing to go all out with modifications to the interior of your ride. If you have a Bose system, you'll need to install a new amplifier as well since the ohm ratings don't come close to matching, unless you're using an aftermarket head unit. You should get one anyway to make the most of them.

2. Buy a reputable amp, not a cheapy. In the electronic world, you tend to get what you pay for until you move into the 'audiophile' realm. The more power the better, but don't go too crazy unless you want to fry the speakers. 100 wpc RMS is pretty good, but not necessary. A head unit's amp doesn't compare to an external amp.

3. After upgrading, ditch the rear speakers.

4. If you have to EQ, you need a new set of speakers.

5. Need more bass? Get a subwoofer with it's own dedicated amplifier. Your crossover point will become a huge factor to a clean sound with tight bass and clear mids/highs. Generally, 50-80Hz.

I'll shut up now. :cheers:

No Highs no Lows it must be Blowez, oo sorry I mean bose! :jester:

Bose is working on a pretty cool suspension right now though. Basically it is the same principle of a coil and a magnet (motor assembly) used as a shock absorber that is computer controlled, and is supposed to have a near perfect ride.

Edited by Quinnster (see edit history)

Just in case anyone is wondering...

Bose f'n blows; the only thing they're good at is marketing. I've been into audio in some form or another (home/mobile) for around 18 years. Some of you guys are handy with engines; I'm handy with audio stuff. Without tossing names and money around, I've heard and spent time with some of the world's most acclaimed equipment (cost does NOT always translate to quality). Having said that...

...mobile audio is an entirely different monster than home audio. IMO, it's all about the fun. You tend to like it loud (fun!) and clear over imaging, timbre, speed, and resolution. In the car/truck, you must compensate for road noise by increasing bass levels. With a Bose system, the treble is extremely weak. This should likely be boosted, but there's a limit to the amount of boost. Boosting the equalization too much can create unnecessary distortion and phasing problems. Ideally, you don't want equalization at all, nor do you want a music signal to pass through an equalizer's circuitry. Luckily, this amount of detail can't be heard in your truck on a stock/Bose system. Equalization is a last resort; that's what a proper set of speakers is for. Shamefully, I have to turn my Bose EQ up to about 3/4 bass & treble. As for fader settings, I don't want to hear the crappy speakers in the back and I want to hear the audio in front of me. I turn my fader setting to the front until I can just barely hear the ones in the back. It not only improves the sound since the speakers in the front are superior, it also makes communication with passengers in the back seat easier. I never adjust the balance. If, for example, you want to hear the speakers on the passenger side better, then physically move them by placing both the left and right speakers in the kick panels (custom mod required). I don't really think this will be an issue though. Just kick your passengers out so they don't block your sound. :D

Since I've got some time to kill, some tips:

1. Speakers first. Replace the stock speakers. Buy a good set, one that sounds good to you, but there's no need to buy the best unless you're willing to go all out with modifications to the interior of your ride. If you have a Bose system, you'll need to install a new amplifier as well since the ohm ratings don't come close to matching, unless you're using an aftermarket head unit. You should get one anyway to make the most of them.

2. Buy a reputable amp, not a cheapy. In the electronic world, you tend to get what you pay for until you move into the 'audiophile' realm. The more power the better, but don't go too crazy unless you want to fry the speakers. 100 wpc RMS is pretty good, but not necessary. A head unit's amp doesn't compare to an external amp.

3. After upgrading, ditch the rear speakers.

4. If you have to EQ, you need a new set of speakers.

5. Need more bass? Get a subwoofer with it's own dedicated amplifier. Your crossover point will become a huge factor to a clean sound with tight bass and clear mids/highs. Generally, 50-80Hz.

I'll shut up now. :cheers:

I agree completely, except for the EQ'ing portion. Every car is different acoustically, (same as rooms) there for you may need to adjust the EQ to your acoustics of the or to your taste. My front speakers definitely sound better since they have been EQ'ed.

Just wondering where my bass and balance fader treble settings should be set to for the most accurate sound production through my factory bose system...THANKS in advance

There is no such thing as 'accurate' with the Bose; it's just an overmarketed jam box. Personally, I max the Bass and trim it back '2 clicks', and I max the treble; that's about the best that it will sound as-delivered IMO. Turning up the Bose past 1/3rd volume just sounds like garbage. :(

AFA the best way to get accurate sound from the Bose - replace the amplifier and speakers, I personally like the Diamond Audio separates A LOT after hearing them in MidnightRidr's truck :thumbs: :thumbs: and for amplifier use the best you can afford, my own criteria here is anything that credibly puts out 100w per channel CLEANLY plus 250-350W per sub (a killowatt system). As an audiophile you may never turn-up the volume loud enough to offend the law but you will at least have the dynamic headroom there to never experience clipping. Between the factory Bose head unit and your aftermarket amps use a quality signal processor like an Audiosource. At this level of audio install it is also worth the effort to apply sound-deadening to the doors, rear cab wall, roof, and rear cab floor at a minimum. THEN you have the basics to reproduce realistic recordings.

Mr. P.