Intercooler Questions

I recently bought a barrel intercooler for my truck. I plan on mounting the intercooler right underneath of the passenger side seat since my charge pipe has a perfect long straight section to put the i/c in. I also bought a 26"x7"x2" heat exchanger that I am going to mount in the front bumper with a 7inch electric fan on a manual switch. I am going to run 3/4in lines from the i/c to the heat exchanger and my question is can you have to much pump for the fluid? I was goign to use the standard bosch 9gpm pump but I found a Meziere 20gpm pump. I am concidering this pump think that it will move more water in turn cooling the charge air more. But what if it moves the water out of the heat exchanger too fast to cool the water back down? What is going to be the better way to go here? I also have to keep in mind that I have to deal with 40 below zero air temps in the winter here. I think I will also mount the water pump on a manual switch so I can turn it off in the winter. Any suggestions or problems with the setup?

Just a thought, water that does not move freezes., So keeping that in mind don't stop the water flow,restrict it using resistance in the wiring to slow the pump down.

MHO!

Ray

The only flaw to this thought is what happens when I shut my truck off in the winter :confused: ? So I just have to mix the coolant in the i/c the same as the engine coolant to keep it from freezing.

The biggest question here is will the bigger pump over flow the water through the heat exchanger and not cool the water down as much. I would probably be smarter and have more money in my pocket to just go with the bosch or the one that zippy has. Anyways. Just open thoughts here, I thought maybe some had used this 20gpm pump.

I am running the set-up that you now have, and started out with the lightning pump which flows about what the bosch flows and upgraded to the mezier... most of the lightning guys do that anyways as a cheap upgrade... and found that my IAT droped by over 20*

Edited by chpspecial (see edit history)

I am running the set-up that you now have, and started out with the lightning pump which flows about what the bosch flows and upgraded to the mezier... most of the lightning guys do that anyways as a cheap upgrade... and found that my IAT droped by over 20*

Well that anwsers that question. You were the one that talked me into trying the barrel i/c. By chance do you remember what size heat exchanger you put on?

Well that anwsers that question. You were the one that talked me into trying the barrel i/c. By chance do you remember what size heat exchanger you put on?

my heat exchanger doesn't fit between the frame rails of the truck, it actually sits infront of the radiator and takes up the entire grill... so about 16" high 32 wide and 3 deep