New Catch Can

Just orderd a AMW catch can from Custom Corvette Assessories. I was cleaning my dry filter on my outlaw when i decided to flip open my throttle body. And what did i see? all this black carbon looking stuff covering the inside. I had read something about this (PVC system and oil mist coating everthing on the inside) in a past forum and figured it was time to get a catch can for my self. My truck is a 06 with only 26,000 miles but i do pull a travel trailer during the summer and see high RPM's in tow/haul mode with the 4:10 rearend up and down this mountains. And what can i do to clean out the buildup already in there?. Seafoam?

seafoam works wonders..

You can also soak a rage, and wipe the inside of your TB out. Just open the butterfly manually, you can get pretty much the whole thing.

If you really want to go crazy, just take your TB off ( its very simple ) and you can get it spotless with some carb cleaner etc.. I do this every oil change myself..

....and you can get it spotless with some carb cleaner etc..

DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER ON THE TB!!! You need to use TB cleaner available at any auto part store. Your TB has a Teflon coating in it that carb cleaner can ruin.......

The easiest method is to spray some TB cleaner on a red mechanics rag, flip open the throttle plate, and wipe that gunk out. You may need to reset your battery if you get a strange high idle condition after cleaning the TB.....

Thank's everone for there input. Still not sure about sea foam have read good and bad things about it. May just take the TB off and clean it by hand, Try to reach all i can from there. Still not sure what side i am going to mount it on, just will have to what till it arrives to see what i am going to do.

I got my catch can from catchcans.com. It came with a machined finish so I took it apart, polished and reassembled. I also painted the gold fittings black. Made alittle aluminum bracket and bolted it to the side of the accessory bracket. Really looks like it came that way

DSC02138.jpg

DSC02137.jpg

This ia after about 1k miles

DSC02215.jpg

Ok just spent the last 2.5 hour's over on LS1 tech reading about cach can's. And have decided to run a dual can setup? Why dual can's you may ask? And where are putting them. One on the PCV dirty side & One on the PCV fresh air intake side. Why the fresh air intake side you may ask? Explain to me please. Ok this is how i read it, If you are running high RPM's ( race track or long high RPM run's ) the pressure in the crank case can build to high level's in witch the PCV valve on the dirty side can not vent it fast enough. So do to the laws of mother nature the extra built up gas will take the easi'est way out via the PCV fresh air intake. Witch will result in oil still intering you're intake and may even have oil on the outside of you're TB and in the CAI tube. There for you run a catch can on the PCV fresh air intake to catch this fumes also. And i think that would be a sweet looking setup also. I'am no way a PCV expert so i would encourage every one to do there own research and draw there own conclusion.

Edited by waltsum3 (see edit history)

OK can is hooked up but i can still here a small hissing sound coming from the lines. I checked all the fightings and they looked good, is the sound a here just the air traveling through the lines? :uhoh:

No, there shouldnt be any noise? There should be a line coming from PCV valve on the drivers valve cover going into the inlet of the catchcan. and a line going from the outlet of the catchcan to the intake. You have a vacuum leak somewhere?? Personally on a basically mild setup, dual catchcan is alittle overkill in my opinion but im sure it has its advantages. As you can see from what I got out of it with 1k miles, it gets the job done.