Getting Ready To Install My Headers....

angels05ss

whats up everyone,im about to start installing my ARH but i need some help on whether to cut :smash: the old pipes off so that i wont have to hassle with the crossmember....if i do that will it make the job easier to get the new stuff on??? i dont plan on keeping the oem manifolds or the pipes.what do yall think....any tips will be appreciated,thx

from where you can unbolt the factory pipes (after the manifolds and after the cats) it shouldnt be hard to maneuver the sections around the cross member. if im thinking right you should be able to just unbolt the pipes from the manifolds on both sides then on the pipe that crosses over from the drivers side there should be a band style clamp and on the passenger side pipe its just a 2 bolt ball flange connection. but whatever is easier for you, if youre not planning on using the pipe for anything or selling it cut it where ever you want to. just my .02, hope it helps.

make sure to get some exhaust vids up after the install :thumbs:

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

:withstupid: You should be able to unbolt them, DO NOT use air tools though. Even though it is more tedious, removing everything with hand tools will pretty much guarantee that nothing will break or get rounded off. Make sure to have a sawzall handy just in case....

Make sure to soak all manifold flange bolts, manifold collector bolts, and 02 sensor bungs with WD40 prior to the install, this way everything will be easier to remove. Coat all of the new header flange bolts with anti-sieze compound when installing them. It is also a good time to replace your spark plugs, since there is the possibility that you can crack one if you do not remove them during the install.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

DO NOT use air tools though.

agreed, air tools are a no no for this kind of thing...once you round em off them only thing you can do is cut and it gets to be a big pain in the A$$

i did my headers a couple weeks ago and i cut the pipes right after the cats so i didnt have too deal witht the rusted bolts... good luck. took me and my friend like 4 hrs to do.. ohh a lil hint for the driver side header, take off the driverside tire and take out the spash guard in the wheel well to get much easyer acces to the header bolts , trust me it will make your life alot easyer...

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

a sound clip will be the first thing i'll do before i drive it....arh makes nice systems for our trucks,i have pics of the headers but i cant manage to make the picture smaller to post it.any ideas??

Hm... Only reason i would wanna coat them is incase the decide to start changing colors from the heat cycles. But i guess if they retain the heat well enough then there is no real reason to coat them. Maybe when it comes time for me to do headers, ill take temp reading on the stock manifolds and a reading on the headers.