Ac Problem..................

GetWithIt

Was driving the SS home this afternoon, and it started making a grinding/rubbing noise... :wtf: ...Came to a stop, and it was idleing rough as hell......shut the AC off and everything was fine. Weird part is, that the noise only happens when the AC is on, and only when I am accelerating.......Got home, and had the wife turn the AC on...rev it up a few times... and everytime she would give it gas, it would make the grinding noise, and vibrate damn near everything under the hood....

My first thought was the compressor, but wouldn't it be constant? ..... :wtf: ....Maybe the damn compressor clutch is acting up......

Edited by GetWithIt (see edit history)

Sounds to me like the clutch on the a/c compresor is going bad or the bearing in it if it only does it when its on making the clutch enguage

:withstupid: Agreed, prepare yourself to replace the compressor....

Well, I thought I lucked out and just had a bad tensioner..........turns out there is a TSB on all 02-05 Silverados, Avalanches etc.etc. regarding the AC compressor crapping out resulting in broken tensioners etc... :wtf: .....Found a guy to put in a new compressor, drier, orifice....etc. etc. for $850.......................Total BS!....With crap like this, it's no wonder GM is where they are today.....If they knew a problem existed, they should have made some sort of effort in taking care of the problem.....This isn't exactly an "affordable" fix for most people.....I'm looking at having to take out a loan against my truck just to take care of this BS.......I think it's time to go back to a much "older" vehicle....Hell, my '72 Cutlass was never a problem child........This truck on the other hand.... :jester:

Edited by GetWithIt (see edit history)

Well, I thought I lucked out and just had a bad tensioner..........turns out there is a TSB on all 02-05 Silverados, Avalanches etc.etc. regarding the AC compressor crapping out resulting in broken tensioners etc... :wtf: .....Found a guy to put in a new compressor, drier, orifice....etc. etc. for $850.......................Total BS!....With crap like this, it's no wonder GM is where they are today.....If they knew a problem existed, they should have made some sort of effort in taking care of the problem.....This isn't exactly an "affordable" fix for most people.....I'm looking at having to take out a loan against my truck just to take care of this BS.......I think it's time to go back to a much "older" vehicle....Hell, my '72 Cutlass was never a problem child........This truck on the other hand.... :jester:

this problem has been around for a pretty long time. it is also a very common problem.

this problem has been around for a pretty long time. it is also a very common problem.

I just found out about it today.................. :D People usually don't research problems, until they have them.........................

I just found out about it today.................. :D People usually don't research problems, until they have them.........................

exactly. you're not psychic? :D

So has this common problem been corrected? Or is there a chance that after he gets it fixed it can happen again?

BTW sucks to hear about your AC GetWithIt... Gotta have it here in the Midwest FoSho!

So has this common problem been corrected? Or is there a chance that after he gets it fixed it can happen again?

BTW sucks to hear about your AC GetWithIt... Gotta have it here in the Midwest FoSho!

My understanding is that a new compressor will take care of it..............must have been a crappy design from '02-'05... :rolleyes:

And I hear ya about the Midwest heat.......AC is definitely a must.......... :cheers: ...(especially since my little boy rides with me most of the time)

• 3 years later...

Was driving the SS home this afternoon, and it started making a grinding/rubbing noise... :wtf: ...Came to a stop, and it was idleing rough as hell......shut the AC off and everything was fine. Weird part is, that the noise only happens when the AC is on, and only when I am accelerating.......Got home, and had the wife turn the AC on...rev it up a few times... and everytime she would give it gas, it would make the grinding noise, and vibrate damn near everything under the hood....

My first thought was the compressor, but wouldn't it be constant? ..... :wtf: ....Maybe the damn compressor clutch is acting up......

Just had this happen to me. Thought tensioner was bad, drove it a bit after the fact, and compressor crapped out. AC is now blowing out temp of outside air... bust out another thousand. 86k on the truck and it's an 03 SS.