Ssbc Slotted Rotor Failure

Barney

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to report a problem that I had. Under 20k miles ago I put on the SSBC slotted rotors and hawk pads. First I was mad since they were not zinc coated as they said they would be. Secondly, these were not their own production, the box even said raybestos on it. They just cut the slots in the rotors!

Well now they are failing, they have started to delaminate and you can see the pad is only touching the rotor in less than half the rotor's surface. I am not very impressed. I guess when I got the rotors and pads for $500ish it was too good to be true.

I am now thinking about going with the NAPA ultra performance rotors and ceramic pads. Anyone had success with these. I know I should upgrade to 14"-15" rotors but the SS is a dialy driver.

Any help would be appreciated,

Barney

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to report a problem that I had. Under 20k miles ago I put on the SSBC slotted rotors and hawk pads. First I was mad since they were not zinc coated as they said they would be. Secondly, these were not their own production, the box even said raybestos on it. They just cut the slots in the rotors!

Well now they are failing, they have started to delaminate and you can see the pad is only touching the rotor in less than half the rotor's surface. I am not very impressed. I guess when I got the rotors and pads for $500ish it was too good to be true.

I am now thinking about going with the NAPA ultra performance rotors and ceramic pads. Anyone had success with these. I know I should upgrade to 14"-15" rotors but the SS is a dialy driver.

Any help would be appreciated,

Barney

Just so others dont get the wrong impession i have 2 sets of the 14" version of the ssbc and they are zinc and drilled and sloted have also the baer's and ssbc's have a way better finish and better workman ship, and i can say that as i have been a machinest for over 20 years

i dont think u got what u paid for just my 2cents

I got the Napa drilled and slotted rotors on mine with nice pads not cheap. Got a sweet discount with my old man working there no complaints and a lifetime warranty on the rotors. Already replaced the fronts. With no question going to do rears soon.

I had the corvette z06 kit. But I thought that this would be a cheaper route good luck...

• 3 weeks later...

Well Guys I went with the Baer Decela rotors and pads. I really like the fit and finish of these rotors. They are very heavy/thick and look much better than the old. Found for a great deal at Autozone.com if anyone else is interested. Be sure to get the 7,200gvw rear rotors!

Yeah, the part numbers at both O'Reilly's and Autozone are wrong for the rears on the SS. Found that out the first time I changed brakes. I got the coated rotors from O'Reilly's for $55/each and I am happy with them. The ceramic pads were like $60 for both front and rear. Less than $300 for a brake job, I'm happy.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Yeah, the part numbers at both O'Reilly's and Autozone are wrong for the rears on the SS. Found that out the first time I changed brakes. I got the coated rotors from O'Reilly's for $55/each and I am happy with them. The ceramic pads were like $60 for both front and rear. Less than $300 for a brake job, I'm happy.

Black, Do you have non-stock (bigger) rotors on your truck??