underdrive pulleys

im looking into underdrive pulley for the ss. i have never used anything similar before and was wondering what to look for.

any recomendations. the idea behind them really makes sense to me.... i would think you would notice quite a bit with them.

i see tbyrne has ASM pulleys .... you can get the crank pulley only or you can get the crank pulley and the alternator pulley.....i would think it would be ideal to do both pulleys.... but will i have any problems with this?

anyone have them already.... i searched and didnt find much of what i was looking for.

i plan to also do electric fans in the near future once PCMforLess gets the LS1 fan kits available.

i already have his computer upgrade.... just looking for a bit more. thanks

what kind of performance will i get... did you actually feel anything?

i put on the volant this past week... and didnt get much at all from it.... im hoping to see something for the pulleys...

and it seems from what i hear... going with only the crank pulley is the way to go...

what about charging issues?

You are at the point where simple add-ons are not going to make any noticeable gains. pulleys slight maybe a throttle body also slight. You need to go up a level like converters,cams,heads

The only thing you are missing is headers. The stock ones are pretty good though you still will not get much of a gain.

yeah... ithink the computer was a major gain....

im just trying to get all i can with easy bolt ons... at this point im not ready to go into the motor at all... maybe in a year or 2.... cam heads and radix.. but for now.. i need to stay with the simple stuff.

is it even worth spending the $200 or so on the underdrive pulley or what?

You will probably notice a slight SOTP improvement with pulley and e-fans. Each one is supposed to "free up" about 10hp by reducing the load on the engine. Seems like the engine spins up a little faster and has a little more oomph in the low end.

I would disagree on the headers. If you put in some long tube headers, you'll notice a pretty good difference. Shorties you won't. Mid-length should also be a noticeable improvement.

I have raced someone with a similar setup and long tubes. I took him at the track. He killed me on the street when speeds went over 120. Look under strip section newenglanddragway. The long tubes only add power way up top. I stuck to shorty headers.

Long tubes will give you power and tq throughout the rpm range. Most may be up in the upper range, but still a gain over shorties in any rpm. Shorties are a waste of money, IMO, as has been mentioned on here numerous times.

First you should do the fans first, putting underdrives on with the propellor still on the front of the engine, its maybe a loss not a gain. The make is not that big a thing, I have used Jet's on the last 4 engines, no problems yet. As for noticable gains, no. Its only one of the small items that hopefully adds up in the total picture.

Headers, with the flows we have monitored in the shop here the stock setup is as good as most shorties, long tubes will make a difference if you have the blower or intake setup that can supply them.

Archived