Which Is Better

bigpickle

You do not want a box style CAI. You want it open. All CAI with open boxes have better number than the closed ones.

:D thanks guys i appreciate all the help!!!!!!!

if the gmpp is around the same price i believe i'll go with it but if not k&n

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KN, i is all hype. a closed in air box is a true cold air in box.. Volant has the ram air tube that hooks to the airduct on front bumper.. that is the one i have with a dry filter.. enough room to put a cold back or dry ice in box for those runs at the track.. anyway keep looking it will click, when you find the right one. air intake under hood open to heat is not a true cold air intake.. no mater what metal brace or seal you have.. airraid make the tube that changes the factory box to a cold air box. uses stock box and gives ya that straight shot to intake with the tube replacement.. True flow has a good video to watch to info you on a good decision, was sponsored by them for a couple years..

I believe wickedosix and a couple others did a test on CAI's.. its a posty somewhere.. I'm sure someone will post it..

if you want to see actual numbers that is

It is a sticky right at the top of the "bolt-on performance" section.

While a closed box is a "true" CAI, the test showed that they simply do not flow as much air as an open element air cleaner. Yeah open element air cleaners like K&N and AEM may have higher IATs, but they benefit from the incoming airflow over the headlight, alot more air flows over the headlight then you realize......kind of giving a Ram Air effect. Besides, as soon as you start moving, the IATs start dropping, rapidly I might add. I have watched my IATs at the track in the past, say I was idling in the staging lanes with an IAT of 135-140*(hot summer night), by the time I launch and get to 1/8th track, I am down to around 110-115*, and down around 100* as I cross the traps at 1/4th mile......

Each type has its advantages and disadvantages(open or closed element), YOU have to decide which one you want......look at the facts and test results, don't let a few opinions make your mind up....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

It is a sticky right at the top of the "bolt-on performance" section.

While a closed box is a "true" CAI, the test showed that they simply do not flow as much air as an open element air cleaner. Yeah open element air cleaners like K&N and AEM may have higher IATs, but they benefit from the incoming airflow over the headlight, alot more air flows over the headlight then you realize......kind of giving a Ram Air effect. Besides, as soon as you start moving, the IATs start dropping, rapidly I might add. I have watched my IATs at the track in the past, say I was idling in the staging lanes with an IAT of 135-140*(hot summer night), by the time I launch and get to 1/8th track, I am down to around 110-115*, and down around 100* as I cross the traps at 1/4th mile......

Each type has its advantages and disadvantages(open or closed element), YOU have to decide which one you want......look at the facts and test results, don't let a few opinions make your mind up....

Very well put.

I was the one doing the test with art as well as some others and AEM, KNN and GMPP where the best performing ones. The open element systems outperformed the sealed both in max power and greater area under the power curve.

This was all independent studies done by us on a limited amount of time on a dyno. we used existing CAI from ourselves as well as other members, so these where all production units and not ringers in any way.

Edited by chpspecial (see edit history)

I wanted to know. Since we are on the subject. The tests yall made...that i can't see for some reason...yall only tested the K&N 57 series. Would the 77 series pull better airflow in return providing maybe some better numbers that are equal or more to the AEM?

I wanted to know. Since we are on the subject. The tests yall made...that i can't see for some reason...yall only tested the K&N 57 series. Would the 77 series pull better airflow in return providing maybe some better numbers that are equal or more to the AEM?

No one with a 77 series let us borrow their intake so we couldnt't test it.

It is that photobucket picture that says "This image or video has been moved or deleted" right? Cause i still see it...On that same note. It was a question saying if you "were" to test the 77 series do you think it would have equal or more performance than the 57 series ?

Also...What model number 77 series would I get. Because when you put silverado ss in K&N's website it gives 77-3050KP but, I have seen people say they get 77-3023KP ??

It is that photobucket picture that says "This image or video has been moved or deleted" right? Cause i still see it...On that same note. It was a question saying if you "were" to test the 77 series do you think it would have equal or more performance than the 57 series ?

Also...What model number 77 series would I get. Because when you put silverado ss in K&N's website it gives 77-3050KP but, I have seen people say they get 77-3023KP ??

No it doesnt matter the material the tube is made out of....

go to the last post on that thread....