03' Sss Transmision Shift Problems. Need Help

2003 SS Silverado

Was reading threw the forums and didn't see this particular problem. Was hoping someone would have an idea before i went and spent the money on repairs. The problem only happens at WOT. The truck is not wanting to shift till late around 5 -6000 rpm and when it does it shifts hard. It just started about a week ago. It also seems to stop gathering speed as good as it used too right before it does finally decide to shift. And again it shifts fine in normal driving. I also noticed that once i reach 90MPH it will not go into overdrive. Almost seems like it is not getting enough pressure to shift at WOT. I checked the fluid level and it is way above the full mark no matter if the engine is cold or hot. The fluid does still look nice and red even though the truck has 90,000 miles. Maybe a fluid and filter change? Or does it have a fluid pressure manifold somewhere that is stopped up and needs cleaning? I did lower the settings on my hand held programmer on shift points but that had no effect. It also seems to be having difficulty shifting in the same manner in every gear shift as long as i have it at WOT. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by onebluess (see edit history)

So basically your truck is winding out in 1st gear, then banging into the next? If so, it sounds like a cracked accumulator, the transmission will need to be opened up in order to change it.....

So basically your truck is winding out in 1st gear, then banging into the next? If so, it sounds like a cracked accumulator, the transmission will need to be opened up in order to change it.....

That's an idea but it also is acting the same for all gear shifts. I don't know much about the internals of the tranny so if anything needs changed i will have to pay someone. Thanks for the help!

Edited by onebluess (see edit history)

Well I bought a new metal accumulator and filter. Put it all back together and it's doing the same thing no change...,.

u need to ditch the hand held POS and get a custom tune. then u need to make a log of the truck to see whats going on unless the problem goes away with the custom tune. i blew a tranny and had it fully built and mine shifts hard as crap because it is fully built. if u bought the truck used did it have any mods? if so what?

Ahh, I didn't see that you have a handheld. :idiot: Typically with a handheld(a custom tune is the way to go), you want your shift points to be at least 200RPM lower then the rev limiter.....Rev limiter @ 6200, 1-2 shift @ 6000, 2-3 shift @ 5900, 3-4 shift @ 5800 etc. etc...........if that does not help, there is the possibility that you have a burnt band or the clutch packs are fried......