Obx Headers And Cats

hossram64

I want to install the OBX long tubes and dummy cats the kit comes with. The kit says high flow cats, but they look pretty straight threw. First question can I install them on my truck and wait alittle while before retuning it to shut of back O2 sensors because I know they will throw the engine light will that cause my truck to lose power at all? Second question will I notice a difference between the OBX long tubes and dummy cats from the shorty JBA headers and stock cats I have on my truck now? Thanks guys.

They won't alway throw a CEL light I drove my truck around for almost 4 months before i got it retuned and i never once had a CEL light. And yes you will feel a differenec especially after you get a turn shorty headers are pretty useless for our trucks but with you being FI i am not 100% sure in how much of a difference you will feel.

I took my cats off with my pace setters, have been running around for year now with the cel on for the back cats and have not had any issue. I ran a 13.19@101 that way too. Truck wont lose any power because the light is on.

You will notice an obvious difference in power. You will notice a greater difference than NA guys because you are FI. Be sure to take care of your plug wires and get them tied up and out of the way.

The cats from obx and more or less just small resonators, they do absolutely nothing for emissions. Thats why they are straight through. They are only good for basically passing a visual inspection. They would never pass a sniffer test.

i got a procharger with the obx headers and it makes a big differance and i still have my stock exhaust but i already had the sensor turned off buy justin at blackbear he did a good job on the tune by the way so i dont know if it will come on or not.

Thats not good I live in CT they do the sniffer test. You do think they will pass emissions? Do you think I should save the stock exhause intake and cats and when I have to go through emissions just throw them back on or do you think I might pass with the high flows on there?

Those "cats" will not pass a sniffer test. They have zero catalytic properties because they are not catalytic converters. There is no ceramic or metallic catalyst in them. Saving your stockers might be a good idea. I had real high flow magnaflow cats and those passed emissions in Cleveland, OH. You could check around and see if magnaflow makes a set that could bolt in on the obx with maybe little modification.

• 3 weeks later...
Thats not good I live in CT they do the sniffer test. You do think they will pass emissions? Do you think I should save the stock exhause intake and cats and when I have to go through emissions just throw them back on or do you think I might pass with the high flows on there?

Won't pass. They are not cats. You will need cats. Dynatec offers cats. They may bolt up to your OBXs.

If u get a light form ur 02's then just have them tuned out by turning the 02's off at the ECU. I did this with my Firebird and Ive had no trouble with it at all. I will be doing this with the truck as well when I install LT's soon.

Good headers. You can install the headers and drive forever if you dont mind the CEL. Otherwise get the rear 02 sensors deleted in a tune. The lack of real cats sets off the code for your catalyst system being inefficient. This is an emissions code only and will NOT affect power. It is just telling you that hippies wouldnt like your vehicle. :jester:

To answer your second question, YES the longtubes with the "race cats" provided by OBX-R will yield more horsepower and torque than shortys, especially with a good tune. :cheers: