Arizona "camera" Speeding Ticket In The Mail

Champion201

First off we live in California. The wife went to Phoenix alittle while back and on her way home one of those Hi-Way cameras took her picture as well as a picture of her rear plate. It said she was doing 88 in a 75. I say we should just pay the bill but my step son as well as his wife who live in Phoenix say not to pay it. They say that seeing how they just mail you the ticket there is no way to prove we ever recieved it. According to them even if they send us a certified copy next time AZ law says that you must be served in person and if not then no bench warrant can be issued and nothing can be done.

Like I said, I say we just pay it but the wife wants me to ask people that live in AZ or in the know what they think so thats why I'm posting here.

Thanks all!

And when you don't pay the ticket ... AZ's registry will just call up CA's registry online, and suspened/revoke your vehicle's registration ... Then when you get stopped, your vehicle will be towed. And then you have to get AZ squared away, before CA will let you re-register your vehicle ..

The term we like to use for this is called: Reciprocity

Or ... you could just take your Step-Son's advice and not pay it ... Roll the dice ... and see what happens ....

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

I know plenty of people who don't pay those tickets here. They are complete BS, they usually don't issue points but your ins company may change your premium depending if their d^cks or not. You can pay it and hope for no points or not do anything at all.

Also on the back of the ticket there should be an option to select, "not me driving", you could always do that as well depending how clear the pic was. Its your call but I don't know many people that actually pay those tickets. I had 3 of them sent back to PA when I moved out here because I didn't know about the cameras, I registered and titled my truck a few months ago here and no red flags were thrown. The tickets were sent over a year ago.

I would at least make them serve you the ticket, make the cops actually do something instead of letting photo radar do their job. No offense "Stiches" its an AZ thing

I would at least make them serve you the ticket, make the cops actually do something instead of letting photo radar do their job. No offense "Stiches" its an AZ thing

None taken ... But since many states are into shortfalls of money ... they are cracking down on this type of infraction. They are mailing out tickets like crazy. Trust me, someday, somewhere ... It will come back to haunt you ...

We (Mass) do not use any speed cameras for the state. But I can always hand you a ticket, give to an "Agent" of yours, or mail you a ticket ... Those are my options ...

And when you don't pay the ticket ... AZ's registry will just call up CA's registry online, and suspened/revoke your vehicle's registration ... Then when you get stopped, your vehicle will be towed. And then you have to get AZ squared away, before CA will let you re-register your vehicle ..

The term we like to use for this is called: Reciprocity

Or ... you could just take your Step-Son's advice and not pay it ... Roll the dice ... and see what happens ....

i don't have the cache that Shuan has, but I was gonna say basically the same thing. These days, the registries (or DMV's) are pretty much all linked online so when it comes time to inspect or re-register you car or license, there could be a "warrant for payment" linked to your plates/tags.

CHAMP:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfev..._enforcemen.php

At the bottom of the article is another link for out of state residents. Maybe shed some light!

Crap i should have read the fine print :banghead: I just paid mine when i got one when i first moved down here. I tell you after getting one i will never get another one. I can see them from a mile away now, im always on the lookout for them

Shaun, like I said in my original post I think she should pay. As a matter of fact chances are I'll just pay it no matter what she says because not paying it could cause issues with my job. Lets just say that I cant have anything show up on my record or anyone close to me.

Thanks for all of the input guys

What a coincidence, I was in AZ a year ago, driving to from PHX to LA and my buddie had the same thing happen, recieved it in the mail here in VT. We were even in a rental car. About 6 months after he recieved the ticket in the mail a local Rutland County Sheriff showed up to our house and issued him the same ticket...he still hasnt paid it. VT does not cooperate with AZ in the aspect of points or fines, so Im guessing the only way he will have an issue is if he returns to AZ and gets pulled over...just an FYI. Be on the lookout for a local LEO to issue you the same ticket in hand.

dude they tried that crap on me MULTIPLE time on the tollway. this was almost 2 years ago and they got my plates and a pic of it sent to my house. i didnt even try to mess with it. i didnt pay it or anything and ive been pulled over 4 times since then. all u have to say was not driving if ur gonna go with something. they cant prove anything