Exhaust Question

elcompalaline

Two days after I got my truck I put in a 40 series flowmaster with single 3 inch pipe. I honestly can't remember if it ran better or worse after the install since I didn't drive it very much before it when stock. So it feels sluggish on take offs and I think it might be because of a lack of back pressure. So my question is, do I replace the pipe to 2 1/2 inch or can I have them dump it right after the muffler (will drone and loudness be an issue if dumped?). Keep in mind I've got a 4.8L and I know most of you will just recommend a tune but unfortunately thats not something I can get done just yet. Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by El Compa Lalo (see edit history)

i put 2 1/2 single into a gibson. it dumps into 2 turn downs. i thought it was going to be to loud but it sounds pretty good. drone a little at a certain rpm. i did notice that it gets dirty quicker with it blowing around dirt more

i put 2 1/2 single into a gibson. it dumps into 2 turn downs. i thought it was going to be to loud but it sounds pretty good. drone a little at a certain rpm. i did notice that it gets dirty quicker with it blowing around dirt more

Yea, I had it dumped on one of my last trucks and dust was all over the place when I hauled a$$! LOL!

I think I will go into town this weekend and visit the local muffler shop to get some prices.

Finally went to town and found a muffler shop. We decided to go with a 10" piece of 2 1/2" pipe on the tip of the 3" to slow down the exhaust gases. Cost me $20 and well worth it.

I lost a bit of top end but gained the equivalent in the low end. It seemed sluggish before and alot more responsive now. These results gave me the "bug", can't wait to get my tune now!

Finally went to town and found a muffler shop. We decided to go with a 10" piece of 2 1/2" pipe on the tip of the 3" to slow down the exhaust gases. Cost me $20 and well worth it.

I lost a bit of top end but gained the equivalent in the low end. It seemed sluggish before and alot more responsive now. These results gave me the "bug", can't wait to get my tune now!

What tuner are u going with?