4l80 Question

will a 4l80 from a 96 Chevy 1ton van powered with a 350tbi work with my 06? Its $400 and would more than likely just use it as a core but not sure if it would be one for a LS motor.

you need to use a 04 or newer core if it is going in a LS powered vehicle.

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

04 or newer???????? Any 4l80e 99 and later has the same bolt pattern. Why do you suggest the 04? Vince

Because it is a better core. I know the 99 up will work.

Kinda funny both you guys can come on here one of you with a full blown advertisement in your sig and not pay vendor fees.... That might have to change.

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

Because it is a better core. I know the 99 up will work.

Kinda funny both you guys can come on here one of you with a full blown advertisement in your sig and not pay vendor fees.... That might have to change.

Sorry about the sig Danny. Fixed it for you. I do not see any transmission sponsors on the side <<<<<<<so not sure what your point is. But point taken sir.

Now back on topic. What is so special about the 04 or newer units? The only thing I can think of is the OD roller. Personally I feel that the old style with the large rollers is a better piece. This is what you will see in large trucks and diesel applications. From my experience the early roller is a better piece and does not dimple the OD planet race as easily. There was a change in the case and pump passages for cooler flow. Not really an upgrade IMO. Planets are still the same and the only other changes were some bushings. So if you are going to rebuild a unit in my eyes these are really not important. You are going to replace them if you see any wear in them. So aside from that what is better? Just an FYI the 06 units seem to have some serious center line issues in the units. You will see serious bushing issues and also the rear carrier and sun gear will experience pitting or strange wear. Vince B

Edited by Vince @ FLT (see edit history)

Sorry about the sig Danny. Fixed it for you. I do not see any transmission sponsors on the side <<<<<<<so not sure what your point is. But point taken sir.

Now back on topic. What is so special about the 04 or newer units? The only thing I can think of is the OD roller. Personally I feel that the old style with the large rollers is a better piece. This is what you will see in large trucks and diesel applications. From my experience the early roller is a better piece and does not dimple the OD planet race as easily. There was a change in the case and pump passages for cooler flow. Not really an upgrade IMO. Planets are still the same and the only other changes were some bushings. So if you are going to rebuild a unit in my eyes these are really not important. You are going to replace them if you see any wear in them. So aside from that what is better? Just an FYI the 06 units seem to have some serious center line issues in the units. You will see serious bushing issues and also the rear carrier and sun gear will experience pitting or strange wear. Vince B

I'm familiar with the problems with some of the 06 units. This unit he wont be rebuilding right away that is why I suggested the newer 04 up core 80E. He is also not making anywhere near enough power to justify the 80e swap. I agree with the older rollers being a better peice and have also ran across that issue with the race getting torn up. BTW it doesn't really matter if anyone offers transmissions here or not when you come here and post with a huge advertisement as a sig. it will upset the paying vendors. BTW Charlie Wheatley and myself offer transmissions on this site. Charlie has made posts to show what he offers and because we are so new I have not finished my write up for our vendor forum. I know your experience and your company well. We have torn into a few FLT units and you guys do good work so kudos for that. Good shops are hard to come by these days. I also understand you are here to help this guy out, but I know the OP well and know that it would be a total waste to do this swap now.

WOW! WTF! Now to the OP A newer tranny from an LS powered truck/van would be a better start. IMO the 96 4l80 is a good price, i would shop around.

Danny you should have been a little more explanitory on your Opinion especially if you are a vendor(new or not) and well versed in tranny's, Vince was just tryin to read your mind for others to understand.

I did not see the ad(sig) in question.(Not cool from the sound of it.

WOW! WTF! Now to the OP A newer tranny from an LS powered truck/van would be a better start. IMO the 96 4l80 is a good price, i would shop around.

Danny you should have been a little more explanitory on your Opinion especially if you are a vendor(new or not) and well versed in tranny's, Vince was just tryin to read your mind for others to understand.

I did not see the ad(sig) in question.(Not cool from the sound of it.

I understand, but I guess I didnt feel the need. I know the OP personally and told him that it was pointless to even think of going the 80E route... His truck has an intake, headers, exhaust, tune, converter, and a shift kit (I personally installed the trans and verter). His trans was in great shape and for minor bolt ons a 80e is not needed. Yes you are correct I should have explained myself because it would have benefit others reading this post. FLT does build nice stuff, but I cant see giving anyone in this industry the title of "Best in the US" they are in the top 5 hands down though.

Rossler reccomended the earlier trans because of the od roller bearing. He said that he has seen failures in over the road, long distance hi speed use with the late trans. So, I put the early trans in the 2004 awd van. The trans cooler lines were easily bent by hand to swap places. The exposed bottom section of the convertor also help get heat out, if you dont need to run the splash sheild due to snow, and debris.

Im actually looking for another for another turbo van build to send in.

VINCE, knows he builds the best 4L65 trans in the USA

THANKS VINCE MY TRANS IS RUNNING GREAT

Thanks Eddie! Good to hear all is going well.

FLT does build nice stuff, but I cant see giving anyone in this industry the title of "Best in the US" they are in the top 5 hands down though.

Come on now let me enjoy my moment of glory for at least a day! I do agree that no body is the best. To be considered one of the best is good enough for me! Back on topic.

Rossler reccomended the earlier trans because of the od roller bearing. He said that he has seen failures in over the road, long distance hi speed use with the late trans. So, I put the early trans in the 2004 awd van. The trans cooler lines were easily bent by hand to swap places. The exposed bottom section of the convertor also help get heat out, if you dont need to run the splash sheild due to snow, and debris.

Im actually looking for another for another turbo van build to send in.

I have had a handful of conversations with Carl. Nice guy and definitely a sharp guy. Actually we use his brakes and I have given him some feedback to make a couple of changes on them. I like the relationship we have and value it. Always nice to talk to one of the best out there and compare some notes and exchange a tip or two!

One thing that makes me think Carl like the early units better is because they are easier to get and the cost is less. Also when you start playing with the later stuff you can easily get burned if you do not have the correct components installed. With all the lube changes a melt down can happen quickly if you are not familiar with them. I'll build them either way and have great success with both.

The one thing that makes the later units better is the planets are a little bit more beefy. Basically wider gears and better washers in the rear carriers. Also if you are installing in a LS1 application the bell is a factor. I like to be able to bolt up as much as possible. Also if you get the right inspection cover, it will allow you to tie it in with the engine oil pan as well. This to me means more strength. I understand the cooling part of it with the no cover method. I guess you could always cut a couple holes in the cover for cooling with a hole saw. Kind of like the old power glides with the wiffle bell housings. There's some history for you. Vince B