Which synthetic trans fluid do you all recommend?

I am going to be getting a 3000 stall, and would like to know what everyone recommends for the fluid swap...I was planning on using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, but my local speed shop is recommending B&M's Synthetic Trick Shift ATF. Anyone familiar with this stuff and how it compares to the other syn ATF's? I'd like to make an informed decision...seems there are a lot of alternatives available. :crazy:

FWIW, I've heard of tranny builders only recommending dino oils for their trannies. Supposedly synthetics are 'too slippery' for the clutches.

There was a post out on LS1 tech about the ford ATF in 4l60e's. That's probably what I'll put in my tranny when I get into it. Albeit at the most, half ford, half dextron. Erroring towards dextron.

Before I went to the fluid I have now after getting my tranny built, I used a half and half of type F (ford) and syn ATF. I have heard f-type fluid being called shift kit in a bottle. It is supposed to provide less slippage of the clutches.

Before I went to the fluid I have now after getting my tranny built, I used a half and half of type F (ford) and syn ATF. I have heard f-type fluid being called shift kit in a bottle. It is supposed to provide less slippage of the clutches.

Hey Ben,

What are the down sides of using the Type F fluid in our Chevy's? If none, why do they make Dexron fluids?

Just curious...

David

• 1 month later...
I would not change your fluid unless you're ready for an overhaul.

Why would you say that? Do you mean that type F would harm the tranny? I'm really just wanting to flush the trans and cooler and replace the fluid with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

I would say stay away from the B&M Trick shift. It has been around for years and works great on older auto trannys but I'm not sure if they have updated it to work with newer transmissions. I had it in a truck with a 4L60E and I didn't notice a thing. I would say Redline, Royal Purple or Mobile One. Anything from Lucas Oil is good too.

FYI...I decided to go with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, mainly for the availability. I appreciate everyones comments and their time to reply. Makes me feel good to be a member of the board! :thumbs:

Got a couple of little weird things happenin after the converter and shift kit, but nothing that a new tune wont resolve in short order, it sounds like. Next to the Nelson tune, I think the converter has been my best mod, hands down! I was on the fence about it for a long time, but after the fact, I wish I'd have jumped earlier! :D

Archived